Esteemed Contributor

Re: Using the Freestanding Tubs?

@Desertdi wrote:

@Twins Mom      Definitely NOT for me......I need those "physical assistance" bars on the walls.......or I'd be stuck in the tub 'til the end of time......(if I could climb over the side in the first place.)

The freestanding tubs aren't for me, either. I am considering a built in tub before I retire. Usually set in a tiled surround, you could mount grab bars on the enclosure or next to the tub. You can sit on the edge to get in or out for stability.

download.jpeg-1.jpg

Respected Contributor

Yes.  We put one in to replace a very large step up and in jacuzzi garden tub that leaked.  Ours is a Victoria & Albert double slipper tub.  In my neighborhood, when people are remodeling their master bathroom, they're all getting rid of the old jacuzzi garden tub and putting these in.  

Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

I've hated tubs since I had to clean them with a gritty cleanser as a child.  We built a house with shower only.  If I ever bought a house with a tub I'd plant stuff in it.  

@depglass   That's fine for you but a real disadvantage when you sell your house.  People with children want tubs.  It's often a deal-breaker. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

We have an old house and one bath has the original claw foot tub.  You can get a caddy (many styles available) for these tubs to place items on or in, some are shelf like and go all the way across the tub and others hang over the side.  I'm not really a person to take a bath but my husband does sometimes and likes the depth and it is cast iron so stays warm.  I find it easy to clean around and under even though it isn't that far from the wall on one side.  If I were building a house I would put some kind of free standing tub in, there are so many different choices now.

libby's folly
Respected Contributor

@caroln242 When we built our home in 1986 we had tubs in both bathrooms. About 15 years ago we took both tubs out and replaced them with nice tiled showers, and are much happier with them!

@Kachina624 Yes, people with kids want tubs...but if I ever sell my house, I'll either put a tub back in the hall bath, or give them an allowance to do so if they wish. 

Respected Contributor

I have an old claw foot freestanding tub in my bath.  It was there when we bought the house.  I am able to get in and out (but it is a big step) and we have the shower fixture for it as well.  I don't mind it but I wouldn't install one now.  Btw I live out in the country in a converted barn so it fits in here.

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Trusted Contributor

I was watching an episode of Unsellable Houses on HGTV the other night. The ladies had a freestanding modern tub installed in the home and they were "trying it on for size." One of the twin realtors got in, but when she tried to get out she put her foot on the rim and the tub started to tip. I don't know if the tub just wasn't hooked up yet or not, but the stability is something to consider.

Personally, that style is not my preference.

Honored Contributor

I just don't find them very practical. I could see them being a fall hazard for seniors and, as someone else has said, I need that ledge.  They are neat looking but that's about all I can say for them.