Honored Contributor

@Hoovermom   We do not have next door in our area.

The cabinet company owner called me on Monday and came to the house yesterday.  

He went over the entire process with me, there will be 7 coats on the cabinets...primer, paint and topcoat...along with sanding.

I feel confident going forward with the project, now that I have spoken to him in person.

He is very busy and it will be at least November before he can start at my house, which is fine, I am not in a big hurry.

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Hoovermom   We do not have next door in our area.

The cabinet company owner called me on Monday and came to the house yesterday.  

He went over the entire process with me, there will be 7 coats on the cabinets...primer, paint and topcoat...along with sanding.

I feel confident going forward with the project, now that I have spoken to him in person.

He is very busy and it will be at least November before he can start at my house, which is fine, I am not in a big hurry.

I agree with remodels in this new world of ours.  I had mine done last Spring and opted to redo my cabinets and not purchase new ones.  My contractor said mine were in too good of shape just to rip out and replace.  I love the result and they look amazing..............

Honored Contributor

@Hoovermom   When the contractor was at the house discussing paintng my cabinets, he mentioned he would paint the woodwork at the floor as well as the wood around the 1 window in the kitchen.  He also suggested painting what I would call the 'kick panel' below the lower cabinets.  

I am not sure about painting any of those areas.  What extra was painted when you had your cabinets painted?

What is your opinion on the additional painted areas?

thanks

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs 

I would certainly have those areas painted.  They will stick out like a sore thumb if you don't, and if you decide to paint them on your own later, they won't match, and will still be noticeably different.

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Hoovermom   When the contractor was at the house discussing paintng my cabinets, he mentioned he would paint the woodwork at the floor as well as the wood around the 1 window in the kitchen.  He also suggested painting what I would call the 'kick panel' below the lower cabinets.  

I am not sure about painting any of those areas.  What extra was painted when you had your cabinets painted?

What is your opinion on the additional painted areas?

thanks

@Mom2Dogs :  I had my contractor paint every surface in my kitchen besides my cabinets, doors, windows, ceiling, crown mouldings, and kick panel, changed the handles on my doors to coordinate with new hardware on cabinets.  I had all new light fixtures replaced also, so really had a new kitchen per se.   It wasn't my idea at first to paint these areas because I didn't think about how it would look.  When he pointed it out, I immediately agreed.  It looks amazing.

Honored Contributor

@Hoovermom   Thanks for the comment, it just seems odd to me to paint the woodwork at the floor level as the kithen butts up to my dining room, which has the same woodwork as the kitchen....I was under the impression it was best to keep a consistent look throught the house.

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Hoovermom   Thanks for the comment, it just seems odd to me to paint the woodwork at the floor level as the kithen butts up to my dining room, which has the same woodwork as the kitchen....I was under the impression it was best to keep a consistent look throught the house.

@Mom2Dogs :  I might add that i have a small hallway that houses a computer room and also a 1/2 guest bathroom that leads from the kitchen.  At the end of that hallway is my dining room.  I had them  repaint all those doors/new hardware/walls, moulding and ceiling/new light fixtures.   It is a huge area.  One thing I did not mention is that I had different countertops installed on my island and also chose a different paint color than the other kitchen countertops and paint.  It is gorgeous.  They also extended the island to accommodate bar stools, making it a little more comfortable for seating.  I also removed the microwave over the kitchen stove and replaced it with a custom hood and had a gas range installed.  They moved my microwave to the island replacing one of the doors with drawers.  I love that so much.   It really does look consistent when you walk into my dining room.  While they were painting I wanted it all done with little additional cost to me.  Get what you want.  I'm never doing this again LOL.

Honored Contributor

@Hoovermom    Thanks for clarifying. Your kitchen make over sounds beautiful.  I wish I had an island, then I could eliminate the dining room, which we never use!  There is no way in my kitchen to have an island.

My concern is my dining room and kitchen are only separated by a wall that the stove is on, there is a door opening between kitchen and dining area and the  living room and dining are  a large room - separated by hardood in dining and carpet in living room. Yes, I know, hard to visualize.

My kitchen and family room is open concept with the same moulding around doors, windows and floor as what is in the kitchen.

I just don't know about painting the window and floor moulding the same color as the cabinet doors, to me it will look odd for those small areas to have a different color molding.  I have time to ponder the issue and look on line at photos to see what others have done.

Thanks!