Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@PickyPicky3   

Were your cabinets sealed (clear top coat) after being primed and painted?

This was over 30 years ago. It wasn't recommended by anyone I spoke with. That sounds like a good idea.

Trusted Contributor

When I wanted to update my cupboards last year, it was recommended Not to paint them. The paint wears off, especially around the handles. I went with a cupboard renewal which consisted of replacing the doors and drawers with real wood in white. The drawers were completely new, soft-closing drawers, not just face plates. The cupboard doors were also soft-closing.  I am very satisfied with my choice. I wouldn't contact the painter who doesn't respond. Bet he wouldnt finish the job or it would take extra long. I would go to Sherwin Williams or a lumber company and ask for a recommendation for a kitchen cupboard renewal company.  I used Kitchen Tune-Up, but there are several others. Do not go with a company that just uses a veneer--make sure it is real wood they are replacing the doors with.

Valued Contributor
I don't care how "in demand" someone is. Or how long they've been in business. Or how many 5 star reviews they have. You should have the common decency to get back to a client. I can forgive one time, but not twice. If you can't respect me or my time, I'm going elsewhere-but that's how I'd handle things.

You did mention living rural?? And not many choices?? Even still that is no excuse in my book. Thankfully I have tons of choices if a contractor or estimator annoys me, is crooked, not respectful of my time, or doesn't respect me. I'm not handing money over to anyone like that.
Respected Contributor

With almost every project I've had involving painters, there have been issues. Poor communication and reliability, with a clock timezone hours off from mine. They definitely are in their own  head zone. 

I used to get upset with them, too, telling my husband I thought they'd been inhaling too many paint fumes. Of course, it didn't help for them to take lunch and return with a large beer in a brown paper bag. Oh yes, stories to tell here...  

Valued Contributor
I've found reliable companies for some project types but am searching for others & it is hard, but I'll persist till I find good ones!

If someone showed up with a beer after their lunch or any break I'd send them home for the day. Period. That's not appropriate or showing a good work ethic in my opinion. Same with smoking, not in my home or on my property. I'm not having my home smell like a stinky cigarette. Besides, I actually break out in hives if around it too much. If you can't follow those basic rules (plus a few others) I'm moving on to someone else!! You want me to pay you good money? Than respect my home & be courteous!
Respected Contributor

I had a painting company recommended to me and they did a great job doing most of my interior....especially removing old popcorn on some ceilings....they were supposed to come back three weeks later to do the bathroom...no-show...so I called and the owner apologized and said he had written down the wrong date and we rescheduled...no show again. I am done with him, I am not chasing him down to work for me...but now can't find a competent bath and tile person anywhere. Was so close to being finished! I hate this! BTW, we did alabaster by Sherwin Wms and bright reflective white on ceilings...love them both. 

Super Contributor

Re: Update kitchen cabinets

[ Edited ]

@geegerbee wrote:

When I wanted to update my cupboards last year, it was recommended Not to paint them. The paint wears off, especially around the handles. I went with a cupboard renewal which consisted of replacing the doors and drawers with real wood in white. The drawers were completely new, soft-closing drawers, not just face plates. The cupboard doors were also soft-closing.  I am very satisfied with my choice. I wouldn't contact the painter who doesn't respond. Bet he wouldnt finish the job or it would take extra long. I would go to Sherwin Williams or a lumber company and ask for a recommendation for a kitchen cupboard renewal company.  I used Kitchen Tune-Up, but there are several others. Do not go with a company that just uses a veneer--make sure it is real wood they are replacing the doors with.

I did the same and actually, the paint quote was just a two or three hundred less than getting new doors and drawer fronts and soft closure.  He painted the cabinet boxes.  Looks great, like I spent a lot more than I did, although it was far from cheap.

Honored Contributor

@Jaspertimes   I am having trouble finding a company close by that will come to my area to quote new fronts....

Super Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Jaspertimes   I am having trouble finding a company close by that will come to my area to quote new fronts....

i discovered mine accidentally when my daughter was getting work at her house, so i agree with you it's hard to find people. 

Respected Contributor

Have you tried "NextDoor"?