Honored Contributor

Re: Those friges that are flush with the counter, are they less deep?

I've had a counter depth fridge for almost ten years and I love it!  I hated how my older fridge stuck out so much into the kitchen. 

My current one is much more streamlined and it is shallower which of course makes it overall smaller inside when it's the same height and width.  It makes it easier to find things but we also have a full sized fridge in the garage as well.

Trusted Contributor

We got a counter depth french door bottom freezer when we remodeled our kitchen. It's about the same cu.ft. as our old top freezer fridge, which was't very large. It still took a little getting used to, but I love it. I do have two lazy susans, because they help with being able to see everything on a shelf. Even though it's less deep, it can still hold a 16 inch pizza in a box by adjusting a shelf. They're not completely flush, because the doors need room to swing on the sides.

Contributor

I have had 2 in the past 15 years.  Yes there is less space but i like the look of it in line with the counter.  I will never go back to regular size.  And i can see everything that is is there.

Honored Contributor

I prefer to have a counter-depth fridge.  Sometimes that's not always possible though.  

I will never go back to a side by side.  I love my French door refrigerator.  

Valued Contributor

Never thought about there being a difference! My fridge is in its own corner with no surrounding counters, so no countertop depth to match & a custom built cabinet above it. Nothing in my home is typical though as I've come to realize, but why I love it! lol No problem reaching anything for me!

Just measured and there is quite a big difference between my fridge depth & the counters. Yes it is less space/depth having a counter fridge. Learn something new every day!
Respected Contributor

What matters to me is the capacity-CUBIC FEET matter.  Do you want 18 cubic feet capacity?  21 cubic feet?  25 cubic feet?  Really,  I want the room.  If the fridge sticks put a couple of inches, that is not a dealbreaker for me.  Let me load up the fridge!  I currently have a Whirlpool with double doors and the freezer on the bottom.  Yes, it does stick out a couple of inches beyond my counter.  However, it is on the other side of my kitchen.  It does not interfere with my food prep counter, my dishwasher, my sink or my stove/oven or my microwave.  

Honored Contributor

You don't necessarily lose space with a counter depth fridge.  Many of them are wider.  I think mine is about 48" wide.