Honored Contributor

Re: The Round Dining Room Table

@Katcat1 wrote:

Not as popular as the oblong or square  dining table but just as nice.  Sometimes you need a change.  This table would probably seat six but for photos they even leave out the 4th chair.

Apex White Oak Round Dining Table (Open Larger View)

@Katcat1 Round dining tables are preferred for family gatherings which make conversation easier.  In business meetings and other gatherings, long (rectangle) tables are preferred. When I studied (my little college con ed course of interior decorating) we were encouraged to use round tables and if there was a demand for more people at one table, try to use two round tables in one proper, larger dining room.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

The issue with round tables is 4 legs to place seats around unless the table has a pedistal.

Square and rectangle dining room tables are more popular because they are the most efficient use of space and at seating.

@ECBG  But tulip tables are round and have one pedestal making it much easier to seat chairs around that type table.

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

The issue with round tables is 4 legs to place seats around unless the table has a pedistal.

Square and rectangle dining room tables are more popular because they are the most efficient use of space and at seating.

@ECBG  But tulip tables are round and have one pedestal making it much easier to seat chairs around that type table.

@Nonametoday 

Agree.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

We have a local hotel that has huge round tables where one of the civic clubs of which I am a member, often holds dinner meetings there.  I am not sure how many they seat but when I am seated there with dignitaries, college presidents, politicians and people with whom I am not sure what the conversation should be like, I wish I could crawl under that table and find a smaller group of people with whom I more well acquainted so I do not feel like I am a pile of mashed potatoes at the table.

Honored Contributor

@queendiva wrote:

Both my kitchen and DR tables are round.

Great for saving space. My DR pedestal table has one large leaf and can seat up to 7. I purchased it new in 2007; can't recall the brand- Lexington or Hooker maybe? 

The kitchen table is vintage Drexel Heritage mahogany, made in NC and has 2 drop leaves, making it a small "squoval" at it's smallest. It also has 4 leaves,. I have never used more than one leaf, but I imagine the table could seat between 2 and 8. Very flexible! A lucky score at ReStore.

@queendiva 

It's hard to beat old Drexel Heritage from NoCar.  I have one night table from Drexel that I have used with a Thomasville BR grouping because I did not like the night stand that went with my suite.  I have some pieces from Hickory, Broyhill and Thomasville and I am very proud of them and wish that my children understood their value.

Respected Contributor

This is a lovely table.   I also like the room as a whole.  Pretty, peaceful colors.  I do think the legs would obstruct more than 4 chairs though.

Honored Contributor

@sceniccoast   You have a point about having only 4 chairs.  I guess with 2 more chairs there would be no room for their legs.  eek!  LOL

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

@Katcat1 , I have mainly round or oval tables in my home.  I prefer that shape over square or rectangle.  No edges to bumps on and I like the shape.  My mahogany dining table is more formal and rectangular but with softer edges.

I like the set in the photo but the base looks like it would knock your knees.  I had a table made for my kitchen, a beautiful granite with a custom galvanized steel base.  Love it!

8D0DB128-36E1-4087-8345-C003F04C7D6F.jpeg

6D146FDF-D331-47E9-8681-D96E8A684EA5.jpeg

Honored Contributor

The first table I purchased after getting married was round.  The legs are placed in such a way that the chairs fit between them the same as they would on a square table.  The table can also be expanded into an oval shape.

I gave the table to my son who uses it.  I now have a rectangle table, but honestly, the round shape was much better.  It took up less space.

Example : The legs were placed like the table in the pic below which is a picnic table.

C37BC75D-A3AD-43A1-80A2-184A79DB87E1.jpeg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like a round table, and I think in a lot of instances it is the perfect fit! For some reason I  have always gravitated towards the oblong table though! I think a round table makes conversations much easier as well.