Honored Contributor

The Evolution of the Dining Room

Respected Contributor

Re: The Evolution of the Dining Room

I have always loved a traditional dining room.  Chrystal chandelier, Queen Anne furnilture, lace tablecloth and draperies, brocade upholstered chairs,floral centerpiece.  Buffet, china cabinet,  the whole deal.  I grew up in a home with a great dining room and wonderful homemade food.  That was the norm at that time.  No eat-in kitchens, but dining rooms.

My previous three homes had dining rooms as described. (except for the great homemade food as I'm not a cook) but did entertain using the dining room.  My current home has a large kitchen - no dining room!  I miss it - but this suits my lifestyle now.

Honored Contributor

I turned my "dining room" into a den, with studio couch, coffee table, a couple file cabinets,  kitty throne, TV, and a big bookcase.......(too bad it doesn't have a bathroom).

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

In the first house DH and I bought, we had a formal dining room and no eat in kitchen.  I hated that.

When my mom passed, DH and I bought her house, which is the house I grew up in.  My parents had the house built.  It was supposed to have a formal dining room however my mom didn't want it.  Instead she had the dining room and kitchen combined so it's one large open space. 

DH and I rarely sit down at the table to eat.  It is just the 2 of us.

Honored Contributor

Unless you have a big family close and regular get-togethers, I think the formal dining room can be multi purpose.    Sitting at an island is casual, for breakfast maybe.   But I still like to sit down to a meal.

Respected Contributor

I love a traditional dining room. And because I host 90% of holidays on my side, and 50% on DH's side, I need one. 

Respected Contributor

I do not care for a formal dining room and a breakfast nook concept. I like a kitchen that includes a large dining table/chairs.

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

I love a Dining Room, but as my friend said if you do not entertain or have a large family, it is a wasted room. Unless you get creative and turn it into something else.......I had a Dining Room in my old house and I loved it, my house now just has a large kitchen, which is nice, but I still would love a Dining Room........

Super Contributor

They can pry the dining room from my cold dead hands. I love it.