Honored Contributor

Taking Neutrals To The Next Level

A neutral living room with accents of green and blue, designed by Ballard DesignsNeutral living rooms get a bad rap. There are a lot of smart reasons to use neutral pieces in your space, but without the right colors and accents, a neutral room falls flat. The good news is that if you have simple, well-made elements as your anchor pieces, you can easily add color and energy to your space with these strategies:

Neutral living room designed by Suzanne Kasler with small accents of blue

Black and white living room with strong focal points

Add a strong rug to a neutral living room to add interest and energy 

In this bedroom, strong green botanical prints add color to the space

Holiday 2018 Paint Colors   

Living rom with greenery and plants throughout, designed by Ballard Designs

Neutral living room with accent chairs and pillows in blue

Living room designed by Bunny Williams with antique inspired pieces

Honored Contributor

Re: Taking Neutrals To The Next Level

[ Edited ]

I always use neutrals as a base for major pieces of furniture and walls then add a bit of color when ever the spirit hits me. I am not a bright color person.

I like most of the rooms pictured.

I actually would like all of the rooms pictured if those antler pieces were removed from the charcoal wall.....I like the charcoal wall.

Honored Contributor

Many years ago I liked to use neutral colors.  I always chose white walls and earth colors for furnishings.  Along the way I changed my taste and added color and I haven't returned to neutrals since.  These rooms pictured do not have much appeal for me, they lack warmth for the most part and that is why I prefer colors.

Valued Contributor

I might add a little more color but I think it's lovely just the way it is.

Honored Contributor

I like some of them but the practical side of me says no way to a white sofa or chair.

Honored Contributor

Yes @jubilant , its obvious you're very fond of neutrals.  Many of us, not so much.  I wouldn't give a single one of these room a second glance except maybe to admire the housekeeping.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Fun post with good examples.  I love both colors and neutrals.  To me, each can be absolutely beautiful when done well.

These largely neutral spaces are more in the current contemporary mode than is my favorite, but for their type, are quite successful.  They're punched up with color, and most have the requisite level of contrast, which some neutral rooms in the past tended to lack.  The contrast level that they have is key, I think;  that, plus texture, plus sparks of color, keeps them from sinking into blandness.

Respected Contributor

The fourth photo looks comfy, cozy.  It came to life with just a little color.

The first two photos are white to an extreme. With the glare from abundant windows, bouncing off all that white, I'd feel I needed to wear sunglasses in either room.

Honored Contributor

I love all of them, with some minor tweaks.  

I think there is a lot of texture and just enough pattern to break up the space.  I am not a fan of loud or overdone rooms. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

Yes @jubilant , its obvious you're very fond of neutrals.  Many of us, not so much.  I wouldn't give a single one of these room a second glance except maybe to admire the housekeeping.

@Kachina624  Yes, I have in the last couple of years become more fond of neutrals.  Actually, my rooms are not all that neutral as I do have to have some color. I thought maybe adding some color might win some over!  How much color....how little color....is so different to each person.  I actually  found some of these rooms "not so neutral".... once color was added.... so who knows? It just made me think of that song....It's Your Thing.....do  what ya wanna do!