Esteemed Contributor

@Kitty Galore wrote:

@VaBelle35 wrote:

My Grandmothers always had clear plastic over the beautiful white lace tablecloths in their dining rooms.  At Christmas we had the plastic Christmas tablecloth with poinsettias on it.

We are Sicilian and we have tomato sauce at every meal, so plastic is the way to go.  The men also took off their dress shirts and ties and ate in their undershirts.  LOL

Capture.JPG

That is so funny cause my mother is Italian , Grandparents are from Naples .  When I was a kid I can still remember the plastic tablecloth for Christmas and yes,  the men always ate in their undershirts  so not yo get tomatoes sauce on their good shirts LOL !  In fact I have photos with the whole family at this big long table and all the men in undershirts !  

@VaBelle35 @Kitty Galore

Your stories of men at the table in their undershirts is so endearing. Cherished memories!

Honored Contributor

Re: Tablecloth or not ??

[ Edited ]

@Kitty Galore wrote:

@VaBelle35 wrote:

My Grandmothers always had clear plastic over the beautiful white lace tablecloths in their dining rooms.  At Christmas we had the plastic Christmas tablecloth with poinsettias on it.

We are Sicilian and we have tomato sauce at every meal, so plastic is the way to go.  The men also took off their dress shirts and ties and ate in their undershirts.  LOL

Capture.JPG

That is so funny cause my mother is Italian , Grandparents are from Naples .  When I was a kid I can still remember the plastic tablecloth for Christmas and yes,  the men always ate in their undershirts  so not yo get tomatoes sauce on their good shirts LOL !  In fact I have photos with the whole family at this big long table and all the men in undershirts !  

@Kitty Galore  I have Super8 movies of it but for some reason, all the photos were taken before we started eating while everyone was still in their finery. 

I don't think the aprons ever came off, though.  My Grandmothers arrived in their aprons the morning of.

Nana.jpg

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

As for my table, I just got rid of my first kitchen table from my apartment in the 90s.  It was the old tile top tables that were in fashion then.  I've had it covered the last 25 years or so all the time.  Let me tell you, it is hard to find 52 x 70 tablecloths.

I just recently bought a new table and I have not been keeping it covered.  I have been playing with placemats and table runners.  

Speaking of which, I didn't know table runners came in different sizes.  The one I bought barely makes it across the top, but still looks good.

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

@Kitty Galore wrote:

@VaBelle35 wrote:

Capture.JPG

@Kitty Galore  I have Super8 movies of it but for some reason, all the photos were taken before we started eating while everyone was still in their finery. 

I don't think the aprons ever came off, though.  My Grandmothers arrived in their aprons the morning of.

Nana.jpg

@VaBelle35  Wow what memories  this photo of your grandmother brings me .  My grandmother always had her Christmas apron on ,  and it looked very similar  to your grandmothers with the pointsettias😀. Lovely photo. , thanks for the memories ,  they are good ones 😺🎄

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Kitty Galore wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

We have only one dining table in our home, in the dining room, as the kitchen is too small to have any table. We eat every meal every day at it.

I have done covered and uncoverd at different times, but for the last 10 years or so, I have always used my custom made table pads, covered by an elegant but very functional table cloth.

I just like the look of the room better with that cloth on, it looks more finished.

The cloth is by Heritage Lace  the style is Heirloom

@Mominohio wrote:

We have only one dining table in our home, in the dining room, as the kitchen is too small to have any table. We eat every meal every day at it.

I have done covered and uncoverd at different times, but for the last 10 years or so, I have always used my custom made table pads, covered by an elegant but very functional table cloth.

I just like the look of the room better with that cloth on, it looks more finished.

The cloth is by Heritage Lace  the style is Heirloom

Very beautiful room it has a historical look to it!  Your table cloth is gorgeous ,  looks like Irish linen.  I have a couple from my grandmother.   Your tea set is lovely as well.

@Kitty Galore

Oh I only wish that photo was my house! It is a stock photo from the Heritage Lace website. 

I have that table cloth, and maybe I can get the tea set someday as well! lol

@Mominohio  Well just the same your tablecloth is very beautiful!  I too wish that were my dinning room lol 😀

Esteemed Contributor

@Kitty Galore No tablecloth unless it's a "special" dinner. For a casual dinner, I use cute place mats (cloth). Most of the time our dining room table is the hub of the household, used for any things and a table cloth would get in the way. LOL

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Esteemed Contributor

@Kitty Galore, my kitchen table is a round maple table.  I had glass cut to fit the top.  I put a table cloth under the glass which keeps it in place and clean.  

My dining room table has a runner with a center piece of art.  I use table cloths only for meals there.

I quilted a matching runner set for Christmas which I will probably put on this week.  LM

868E037E-B876-483B-A653-C47310346352.jpegAC39B14C-8527-46C5-8BF6-4FBA6D9ACF43.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@VaBelle35

@magicmoodz

My grandparents were also Scicilian and I also remember the plastic tablecloth over a lovely white tablecloth.  It was cutwork and embroidered and likely from the old country or one she made.  Beautiful!

And the apron -- it was on early in the morning and never came off all day.  We only visited their Brooklyn, NY, home once a year, but lovely memories.

Chicken soup on the stove with the chicken feet bobbing around Cat LOL  Ack!   Dinner was noisy, chaotic and delicious punctuated by espresso in glasses, annisette, and pastries from the local bakery.  In the summer we had lemon ice.

Olives and wine curing in the little cellar!

Wonderful times.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@VaBelle35

@magicmoodz

My grandparents were also Scicilian and I also remember the plastic tablecloth over a lovely white tablecloth.  It was cutwork and embroidered and likely from the old country or one she made.  Beautiful!

And the apron -- it was on early in the morning and never came off all day.  We only visited their Brooklyn, NY, home once a year, but lovely memories.

Chicken soup on the stove with the chicken feet bobbing around Cat LOL  Ack!   Dinner was noisy, chaotic and delicious punctuated by espresso in glasses, annisette, and pastries from the local bakery.  In the summer we had lemon ice.

Olives and wine curing in the little cellar!

Wonderful times.

@Witchy Woman  My grandmother lived in Brooklyn as well, on Greene Avenue.  She was the grandmother who used to make fresh pasta and hang it on the railings.  She never made desserts.  My mother's mother always made the desserts and we purchased fresh pasta (usually raviolis) from the Ravioli store in town.

My grandfather was a butcher and owned a grocery store and so we always made our own sausage and marinated our own fresh olives and the 15 pound provolone cheese was always hanging in the basement.  When he retired he kept some of the machines in the basement, like the cheese grater.  So just before dinner, he would go down and hack off a piece of romano cheese and a piece of ricotta salada and put them in the grinder (separately).  He would come upstairs and put the cheese on the table and then it was time to eat.

Which is still there, BTW:

Ravioli.jpg

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

@VaBelle35

How magical that the store still exists!  Looks like the stores from my memory. 

My grandma's house was at MacDonald Avenue and Avenue U -- right on the corner.  Overhead subway stop right across the street, bus stop, taxi stop -- it was a noisy corner!  Windows wide open all summer long.

They had an empty lot next door and my grandpa had a garden that drew many admirers -- he gave away lots of produce to those stopping by. 

I think it was Lou's Grocery right next door -- the huge wheel of cheese was ever present.  Many lovely bakeries and little stores in walking distance.  "The chicken man" would deliver fresh chickens -- "the pork store" across the street.

I Googled it and the house was torn down many years ago and replaced with a bank. 

No one to care about those memories now.  All the families gone. 

Vita & Rocco were their names.  Wonderful, whacky people Cat LOL

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread, but....