Respected Contributor

I use table cloths in fall and winter. Just seems cozy to me.....then in spring and summer, a runner.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie , I have many tables cloths from my MIL from all over the world.  She was quite a traveller and always brought back tablecloths.  In my kitchen, I had a piece of glass cut to the size of my round kitchen table and I place the tablecloth underneath the glass.  Keeps them clean.

MIL loved dishes, everything about presentation.  Her holiday tables were amazing.  I have given many away as I try to downsize.  I too hang mine on hangers for storage.  LM

Respected Contributor

I only use Table Cloths when I have guests & I do like chargers as part of my place settings. I do use Place Mats for dinner daily. I do think if your table top is worn & your not able to replace then a table cloth is best imo. I do not care for plastic table cloths. I have an island with stools but never sit there, only guests do... I have a breakfast nook round table that I prefer to eat that can sit six people but also have an extension that fits 8+. I never use the Dining Room, what a waste. I use runners for xmas deco.

Honored Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

I remember years ago people would decorate their dining room table with their dinnerware (just for show) I never understood that. It it still been done?

When I had a formal dining room I did this often. It's a way to appreciate and see you favorite china or dishes, and gives a nice look to the room. I'd alternate though and uncover the table, with just a centerpiece sometimes too. I get bored doing the same thing too long! lol

Honored Contributor

Back in the day when I had a kitchen table, and a dining room table, I would only use a table cloth on the dining room, the kitchen would be bare with a centerpiece in the middle, maybe on a small runner.

The formal dining room, I'd alternate keeping it covered with a fancy tablecloth and dishes set up, and then sometimes bare with a centerpiece in order to enjoy the wood.

Now, I have just one table, and it is in the dining room. We have to use it for everyday, and it is wood, so I keep the pads on it, and a Heritage Lace table cloth, and we use it that way every day. 

I think the tablecloth makes the room look more formal and finished. I've tried to leave it bare and I just don't like the look of it anymore in the area I'm using it, plus it is a hassle to then eat on it three times a day and worry about scratching the wood if it isn't covered. 

Heirloom Round Tablecloth

This is NOT my picture, but it is the table cloth I use daily. Made in USA, washes and releases stains easily, and most people would consider it not to need ironing. I've used it for over 8 years and have one in reserve when this one wears out, as I've never found another one I like as much.

I like tables both ways, with and without a tablecloth. I think change is good, and in a perfect world, I like to see a table with it sometimes and without is sometimes just for a change. 

As far as what's 'in' They do show most tables without a cloth, but I think it is part of the 'make life easier' movement. It definitely is another thing that has to be cleaned and maintained, but to me, using them at least part time, is worth the work to get a different more formal look. 

Frequent Contributor

Thanks ladies for your in-site - quite a mix! I really enjoyed all your posts.  Seems like most say that runners and placemats are what is being used now. Of course, we should do what makes us happy.  Unfortunately, I have quite a stash of tablecloths; so, it's going to be really difficult to do away with most of them...ugh! I will keep my squares though as I like to layer with them. An excuse now to get runners and placemats and especially since DH and I are in a redo home process. It's hard teaching an "old dog new tricks" for this lady of 69, LOL!   BTW, thanks for your pics too. 

Trusted Contributor

I use a table runner and change it out for every season or holiday. It's kind of a fun way to change the look in the room and really not very expensive. 

Honored Contributor

I use tablecloths.  I alternate between tablecloths and cloth placemats.  I don't worry about trends when it comes to things like that.