Honored Contributor

I like having something on my table.  Most of the time it's placemats, but I use tablecloths too.  My only gripe about tablecloths is that they can slide around.  I have an assortment of options - it's kind of a sickness with my sister and myself.  I have a couple of the Heirloom sets, like the ones posted above; a navy set and a beige set.

Respected Contributor

I don"t know what the trend is, but I use them most of the time.When I don"t have one on my dining room table it does look bare to me even with a centerpiece.Sometimes I just use a runner.

Esteemed Contributor

Our living and dining rooms are in the same area, so we keep a tablecloth and centerpiece on the table.

The kitchen and family rooms are together, with a table and six chairs between the kitchen and the family room. We use place mats on that table.

Honored Contributor

My dining room table is always covered with a colorful tablecloth.   

Esteemed Contributor

I remember years ago people would decorate their dining room table with their dinnerware (just for show) I never understood that. It it still been done?

Respected Contributor

@Bubbles219   I love pink depression ware.  I have several pieces in my china cabinet.  I did have green and yellow sets of dishes in depression ware, but sold them at an auction.

I was not fond of them and had other china and glassware of Mom's so it was not hard to sell them.   Each time I moved, they had to be individually wrapped and boxed only to be stored in the bottom of the china cabinet again.In fact, the daughter of a friend bought them so I know they are being enjoyed and not just stored.

Honored Contributor

I do not put a tablecloth on my dining room table except when we eat there.  I have several beautiful,100% silk ones that I purchased while in Asia.  They wash well and no iron needed.  I fold and put them on hanger and hang them in a closet.  I keep all of my tablecloths on a hanger.

I have a lot of tablecloths to fit my kitchen table.  I love to use them, but my DH folds them back when he is eating.  He says they will get dirty. 

I wash at least three kitchen towels daily and it would not be a bother to wash a tablecloth along with them.  Currently, there is nothing on my kitchen table.  When the weather changes, I will put a fall centerpiece and tablecloth on the table.   My table took a summer break.

Respected Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

I just use place mats.  I don't see tableclothes being used on HGTV or the decorating websites.

@NickNack   I agree, never see them being used on TV or on Pinterest. I guess they are dated, place mats or runners are in.

Esteemed Contributor

My sis sewed reversible runners for the center of my table. I picked out material and it works for me. I keep placemats nearby, when needed. I do have a spring tablecloth I like to use for Easter family lunch and a special holiday tablecloth for winter gatherings.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

I do not have a tablecloth on my dining room table, but I do use a table throw - (I think that's what its called).  I ordered it from Pottery Barn.  It is a large square - I have an oval table - and I position it so that each corner of the throw points towards the 4 chairs at the table.  So a little table still shows as well as the majority of the throw.  And then I have a large vase with flowers in the center that matches the colors of the throw (blue n white).

Sometimes I will have just a runner with some type of centerpiece.  Pier 1 has some nice runners, not too pricey.  Pottery Barn runners are usually too long for my table.  Or I have a 3ft. or so table runner that just covers the mid part of the table.  Gotta have something on my table or it is just too blah.  I live by myself so I also keep a place setting there as I usually eat lunch sitting there.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing