Trusted Contributor

Summer Reupholstery Projects

It is amazing what happens when you shop around!! I have two patio cushions that are an odd size that need to be recovered.

I went to Calico Corners, a place that sells nothing but reduced priced fabric, and looked at their selections.

Not only was I uninspired by the choices, the price they gave me to have things recovered was crazy high! $185 to cover two small patio chair cushions!

$1100 to recover my loveseat!

Fast forward to a few days ago when I decided to call a local woman upholsterer. Loveseat recover....1/3 of the CC price!

I found a cute bench at Goodwill and was going to just staple fabric, but the woman told me it had to be removed. $185 to recover a $15 purchase!!!

The lady I called quoted me $25 to do the bench! She also gave me a website that has all kind of nice fabric for good prices.

Now I need to pick out the fabric and get the pieces out the door to be recovered. It pays to shop around. It is cheaper to recover my old loveseat that it is to buy a new one that is probably cheaply made.

What a great way to change your decor without breaking the bank!

Honored Contributor

Re: Summer Reupholstery Projects

I too have found Calico Corners to be outrageously expensive.  At their price, you might as well discard the piece and buy new.  I hope the person you found does a good job.

Respected Contributor

Good for you!!!!  She sounds like a treasure and I would never lose her phone number.

I have a sofa that is 20+ years old and I love it.  I am tempted to get it reconditioned and reupholstered, but I am almost afraid of what the cost will be.  But on the other hand (as I tell my husband)  it may be worth doing as I will never be able to find another sofa I like so much and even if I did it would probably cost a bundle.

Respected Contributor

Good deal!  I hope she does a good job for you.  There's an upholstery school in my city that will do projects for just the cost of the materials, no labor fees.  If I needed anything done I'd go there.

Esteemed Contributor

@Allegheny, if your sofa is a quality piece, it is likely better construction than you will be able to buy now also.  Definitely worth checking out!  LM

Honored Contributor

Wow - I recall about 25 years aho I got my sofa and loveseat cushions restuffed for $125 total. Now that would cost close to $1000. YIKES.

Honored Contributor

@Allegheny  There si a place in the strip district called Gene Sanes - check them out - most reasonable! 

Honored Contributor

I used to have a  cedar chest with a cushion lid. About 8 years ago I purchased new fabric to reupholster that lid but never got it done.When we moved to Fl. I gave the chest to my neice along with the bolt of ivory vinyl fabric to reupholster it.She decided to use the fabric on her kitchen chairs instead. So I promised her we would put aside a weekend so she and I could get that job done. She went and got fabric already. It is a simple matter of taking it apart and stapling on new fabric but it will be a process to get it apart.Much more to it mechanically than fabric work.

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Allegheny  There si a place in the strip district called Gene Sanes - check them out - most reasonable! 

@151949  Thanks, I appreciate the information!  Hope you are enjoying your stay in PA.  Yesterday was a real bear with the heat, but today is beautiful.

Trusted Contributor

The website she gave me to look for fabric is

warehousefabricsinc

Use the usual before and after. The prices are very reasonable and they will send samples upon request.