Esteemed Contributor

Speaking of the Bathroom Sink

Not that anybody was speaking of it but going to mention this anyway. I can't stand shampooing/conditioning in the shower and have all that stuff running down my face making it itchy when rinsing plus I have this "thing" about having  my eyes closed while in the shower. So have been doing it in the bathroom sink. Normally I pull out the sink stopper thing about once a year clean it off because it gets black & gunky from soap. Anyhow decided to do it yesterday and couldn't get the stopper undone and pulled out. Figured maybe there was a little hair tangled around it. So I got a very long and very narrow brush I have and got the stopper up as high as i could and put the brush down there as far as it would go and twisted it around and then pulled it out. OMG!! I COULDN'T BELIEVE MY EYES! I kept doing that untill I pulled out enough hair to make a long haired cat. And the black gunk all around it. It was disgusting. Still can't get the stopper undone from the little lever it sits on so there must be more tangled around it but at least using a narrow funnel I was able to fit in under the stopper to do the baking soda & vinegar thing which makes a small volcano kind of action that brought up more black gunk. If any of you ladies wash your hair in the sink I suggest you clean the drain out before you encounter a major blockage which I think I have avoided based on what I saw.

Respected Contributor

Re: Speaking of the Bathroom Sink

[ Edited ]

You'd probably find that in any drain where soap is used; sink, tub, etc. 

Honored Contributor

@shaggygirl: Please purchase a plastic drain cover. At this moment I cannot remember the product name. It covers the drain and prevents the hair from going down. Nothing stops the gunk from forming but this makes it easier to clean. I have one for all my sinks and shower drain. SouthernBee 

Esteemed Contributor

@SouthernBee wrote:

@shaggygirl: Please purchase a plastic drain cover. At this moment I cannot remember the product name. It covers the drain and prevents the hair from going down. Nothing stops the gunk from forming but this makes it easier to clean. I have one for all my sinks and shower drain. SouthernBee 

Aha, I think I know what you're talking about, must have seen them somewhere but I don't remember where. I'm picturing about a 1 inch or so plastic collar around a raised middle that has tiny holes and little tiny sticky out things that snag the hair. Might have seen them in the grocery store bathroom or kitchen stuff aisle. The middle thing would have to be high enough though to accommodate the stopper being up high enough to let the water drain. Going to check next time I'm at the store. If they don't have them I'll check Amazon, they seem to have everything. Thanks!

Respected Contributor

Great suggestion about those plastic hair collector things to place over the drain.  I have one in the shower and it does collect hair. 

I sometimes wash my hair in the laundry room sink, especially when I dye my hair.  I don't want all that dye splashing all over the shower. 

All drains are gunky like that described by the OP. Last time the bathroom sink was draining slowly I bought some drain cleaner at the dollar store and used it according to the label.  It worked fine.  I know it contains caustic chemicals, but I rarely use it.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PinkyPetunia wrote:

Great suggestion about those plastic hair collector things to place over the drain.  I have one in the shower and it does collect hair. 

I sometimes wash my hair in the laundry room sink, especially when I dye my hair.  I don't want all that dye splashing all over the shower. 

All drains are gunky like that described by the OP. Last time the bathroom sink was draining slowly I bought some drain cleaner at the dollar store and used it according to the label.  It worked fine.  I know it contains caustic chemicals, but I rarely use it.

Just perused Amazon, they have quite the choice, placed an order for one that I think will be the perfect fit & hair snagger.

Honored Contributor

Does anyone know a good product or home remedy that removes the black gunk from bathroom sink drains?  TIA!

Respected Contributor

Cleaning the gunk out of the bathroom sink drain is one job I hate!  It is so gross!  A plumber once told me that the slimy black gunk is an old accumulation of toothpaste and other products and to run the water in the sink a bit longer after brushing my teeth. Of course if there is hair down there it all gets stuck together and doesn't wash away. I've even straightened an old metal coat hanger and make a little hook at the bottom to kind of pull out additional gunk stuck in the drain after removing the drain stopper.  I also use the vinegar and baking soda after cleaning as much gunk out as possible. 

Honored Contributor

White vinegar or peroxide help to remove soap scum in the drain, as well as get rid of the unpleasant odor.   

Esteemed Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Does anyone know a good product or home remedy that removes the black gunk from bathroom sink drains?  TIA!

Try the vinegar/baking soda routine. You pour really hot water down the drain (I let my teapot full come to a boil and use that), follow that up with a cup of baking soda, let it sit a couple of minutes then pour a cup of white vinegar in then quickly put the stopper down as it's going to IMMEDIATELY start foaming up like a mini volcano. Leave it alone for about 10 minutes then pour another pot of really hot water down the drain. When you are done with that if you have the kind of stopper that you can wiggle off the little lever that it sits on take it out because the stem of it usually still needs a good scrubbing off. Then put it back in getting the opening in the stem back over the lever, it's a little tricky getting it back on but you can do it even if you have to find your way using a flashlight to see where it is so you can match it up to the opening in the stem. I can't say this gets rid of it 100% but it definitely helps to break it down and get rid of quite a bit of it.