Respected Contributor

Re: Something I just don't "get" about the tiny house movement.

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

Agree with all of you.  Around here, $108K will buy a decent home.  Not a great home, but a decent one. 

A house?  Where I live $108k would get you a parking space.  You can't even get a studio condo that needs work and is in very bad neighborhood for that type of money. 

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

Agree with all of you.  Around here, $108K will buy a decent home.  Not a great home, but a decent one. 

A house?  Where I live $108k would get you a parking space.  You can't even get a studio condo that needs work and is in very bad neighborhood for that type of money. 

I bet in an area where prices are very much higher for a home the salaries are also much higher than where home prices are less. The COL is extremely variable across the USA.

Honored Contributor

I like space.

Respected Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

I like space.

I think that sums it up for myself as well. I don't need tons of closets or many rooms now that the kids are grown but I still like enough space so I don't feel like I am living in a cramped, uncomfortable space.

This area of the country $108 thousand would buy you a garage. lol.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

The people buying these tiny homes being shown on HGTV are not intending to live like the bush people. Perhaps it would be an idea to be familiar with the subject before you comment.

Please see previous post. I have provided much accurate and informed information for all to peruse. Enjoy!

Your're welcome.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wouldn't EVER want live in a camper. My master & bathroom are larger than 488 square feet. I LOVE having lots of space. My spoiled, well-behaved furbabies even have their own bedroom!

Honored Contributor

I think these shows are interesting, and I give kudos to the people who are willing to downsize and reduce their carbon footprint whether it be in a tiny home or a trailer. 

Valued Contributor

Valued Contributor

Trusted Contributor

LIke others I think they are way over priced for what you get.  I also wonder about how well someof them will hold up over time and what kind of resale value they will have. What I don't understand are these people who have 2 or more kids and multiple pets.  They might be fine for a couple but once you add kids, dogs and or several cats, for me, they become a little ridiculous.