Honored Contributor

Re: Something I just don't "get" about the tiny house movement.

Tje house that was $108,000 they did not have to buy any land, they were farmers and owned the land already.

Respected Contributor

I think the tiny houses are darling.  Much cuter than a trailor.  "If" you wanted to have a small house in our town, our town will not allow you to put a trailor house on a ground lot in the city limits.  If you want a small place, it would have to be a house or a tiny house.

A tiny house would look so cute out in the country among the trees vs. a trailor house.

I get them!  To each their own.

Esteemed Contributor

It probably has to do with zoning regulations.  As long as it is classified as a "house" it can be put in places that forbid "trailers" or mobile homes. 

Respected Contributor

My sister and I lived in the family 5th wheel while in college. It was very cheap for the lot rent with water, electricity, and cable. We weren't in a KOA or camp ground, or the utilities would have been included in the cost. It was far cheaper than the dorm or sharing a house where the rent is by the person not for the whole house and people to split. Our is a 1978 Kountry Air 32x8 without slide outs. Slide outs would have really made it great! They are also way cheaper to get than a Tiny House with many extras they don't have in those Tiny Houses. My cousin hated living in the city in Savannah, so he got a pull behind camper and parked at a camping ground where he had his boat pulled up to his camp site and loved it. City life, crowds, and apartments were not for him. It was also skads cheaper than housing in the city with the same commute time. The camp ground was also much quieter than the apartment complex with much better neighbors and shade!
Honored Contributor

@Tigriss wrote:
My sister and I lived in the family 5th wheel while in college. It was very cheap for the lot rent with water, electricity, and cable. We weren't in a KOA or camp ground, or the utilities would have been included in the cost. It was far cheaper than the dorm or sharing a house where the rent is by the person not for the whole house and people to split. Our is a 1978 Kountry Air 32x8 without slide outs. Slide outs would have really made it great! They are also way cheaper to get than a Tiny House with many extras they don't have in those Tiny Houses. My cousin hated living in the city in Savannah, so he got a pull behind camper and parked at a camping ground where he had his boat pulled up to his camp site and loved it. City life, crowds, and apartments were not for him. It was also skads cheaper than housing in the city with the same commute time. The camp ground was also much quieter than the apartment complex with much better neighbors and shade!

That is so cool! What a great way to have your own space while in college. Great idea, and something I'd never even thought of!

Honored Contributor

Most of those tiny houses are built on a trailer frame so they would be classified as a mobile home

@Zhills wrote:

It probably has to do with zoning regulations.  As long as it is classified as a "house" it can be put in places that forbid "trailers" or mobile homes. 

Respected Contributor

Is was MomInOhio. It has burnt orange shag carpet and the same couch in the Napoleon Dynamite movie. We traveled in it with my father's job as a boiler maker, so we had it for college and now it is at the lake for a fishing camp.
Honored Contributor

Tigress , previous to this camper we had a fifth wheel that we would vacation in and kept on Lake Erie in between trips. We first started camping so we could take our dog with us and not have to kennel her.Now we have owned a camper continuously for the past 32years. We started out with a pop up trailer and each one was a little better than the one before. This will be our final camper though as we are getting older and it is a little more difficult each year.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

I don't watch the shows these are featured on, but have seen them in different articles, and the one difference I thought was that these tiny homes are most often put out on land, in some rather isolated areas. That could account for some of the price difference, maybe getting land or lot with it? Could they be built more solid and with more insulation than a trailer? Also, many of them, because of the isolated areas, don't have all (or any) utilities available, therefore composing toilets and wood burning stoves necessary.

And they may, for the most part, be just another fad that time will see come and go. Not that some people won't see benefit in them over time, but many people will tire of the lifestyle and move on to other things.

Utilities or not it is against the law for them to just throw their used dirty water on the ground - like from showers and sinks. They need to have a septic tank even if they have a composting toilet.And even those need emptied out every few days. Plus where are they getting water? and electric? They still need a hot water heater and a furnace of some type.

Honored Contributor

I started married life in a used mobile home.  I loved my trailer home and enjoyed the years we lived in it before building the house we live in now.   I could live in a mobile home, or modular home again if I had to, without an issue.   However, I personally know people who look down on mobile homes, modular homes, campers, anything factory built / pre-fab.  My opinion is that one goal with the tiny home movement is to try to change opinions about pre-fab construction thru awesome custom designs and over the top decorating.  I can see where construction is viewed differently when you hire a contractor with a few specialty helpers to custom build a tiny house for you, compared to walking onto a lot and looking thru acres of factory built campers, travel trailers, double wides, modular homes, or mobile homes, trying to find the one home with the specific features that appeal to you.  I have watched several episodes about the tiny houses and seen some very cute, but pricey, custom builds.  Based on how I feel about spending my money, and getting bang for my buck, I can't see me ever going with a tiny house build.  For those prices, I want comparable square footage and actual living space.