Trusted Contributor

I'm reroofing this spring and considering adding a Solatube. Anybody have experience with these? Is it enough or else too much light? Is the quality of the light good--not to blue, not too harsh? The room I'm thinking about needs artificial light on all the time because of it's shape and the angle of the sun. My room is about 12x20 with big french doors at one end but no other windows. 

All advice welcome, and thank you!

Honored Contributor

@KaySD 

We have 4 of them!

Master Bath

Kitchen

Central Hall

Family Room

Love the light, not too harsh, we have clear internal covers, just make sure they don’t use blue, or pink.

20 years, not a single issue!

The only thing I would consider is light during the day in TV watching area.  The one in our Family Room is directly across from TV and reflects a bit on it.  Nothing wrong with the light, not hot or anything, never noticed until Sheltering at Home.

Good Luck with roof.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Trusted Contributor

@Drythe 

That's great information, thanks. The room I need tons of light in is my home office. No actual TV, but of course, I have a computer screen and use a tablet all the time. I'm positioning the light in the center of the room, which is open, so that I won't be working directly under it. Does that sound sensible to you?

Also was thinking about a 2nd one in the kitchen, vs. rewiring and changing the electric lights. It's a long, galley type room. The tube would need to be in the center of the "aisle" but I was concerned that all the counters and surfaces would be in my own shadow--that's what's wrong with the electric lights now. And of course, it wouldn't help after dark!

Honored Contributor

@KaySD 

I think your office sounds great.  I notice reflection on DH’s big TV 🙂. My tablet - is  just fine.

The two I enjoy the most are the Kitchen and Master Bath.

Hope you enjoy.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Frequent Contributor

We have two Solatubes, one in our kitchen and one in the hallway. We love them. The hallway one is so bright people always think a light is on in the hall. They provide great natural light. I wish I had added another one in the kitchen when we had them installed.

The only issue is when you have the house reroofed. Problems, such as Solatube damage, can happen if the roofers are not experienced or willing to learn how to work around the Solatube when they reroof.

Trusted Contributor

@Slainte 

Good point. Luckily the roofers are installing the tube with the new roof. It may cause a problem someday...but by then I'll be long gone...or past caring! 

Honored Contributor

Didn't know what this was, and looked it up. For those that haven't heard the term/brand, it is basically a skylight in the roof/ceiling of your home.

Never.

Not that I wouldn't love it in theory, I love and crave natural light, and lots of it. 

But roof leaks seem to be a thing in my life. We have had to put three new roofs on our homes over the last 40 years. I'm not going to put one more hole in the roof, I don't care how much they guarantee it won't leak. In our climate, lots of snow and rain.......it's just a no go for me. 

Plus I've become just paranoid enough to feel like it's another 'window' into my home, another entry point for lack of privacy.