Valued Contributor

My Mother worked in furniture sales for years and when I got my first home I needed to buy new couches etc. I have cats and she told me you must get slipcovered sofas for several reasons. One, you can remove the cover to wash them and that makes all the difference in the world, so easy and also if you ever change your decor, you can just get a new slipcover and keep the same couch, such a savings and now it looks like you bought a brand new couch! I have a Pottery Barn sofa with a denim slipcover and I love it. The couch is awesome and I can ALWAYS get a new slipcover for it whenever I want. PB is great for sofas, was delivered in perfect condition, have had it for years now, but can still get covers for it. To me, it's a no brainer to get slipcovered furniture. I have chairs too and a slipcovered headboard for my bed. 

Honored Contributor

Love the Pottery Barn sofas...you also might want to check out Wayfair.  I also love slipcover sofas.  Good luck with your new sofa!

Honored Contributor

Re: Slipcovered sofas

[ Edited ]

Slipcovers can be a cozy look but unless they fit well I'm not a fan. I think the retailers selling sofas intended to be slip covered are a better bet than those bought separately and mass produced. Years ago, folks used to have slip covers customs made to fit their specific pieces and possibly still do, but even those often didn't work to me.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor

Here is my slipcovered sofa.  The covers were custom made but  quite inexpensive.  As you can see, it's a 3 cushion/3 back pillow sofa and each pillow + cushion has it's own slipcover which has a zipper.  If you take all cushions and pillows off, there is one huge slipcover over the entire sofa. 

LOVE them!  Washable....I just toss in washer and then dryer and no shrinkage and zip right back on.

Sofa.jpg

Honored Contributor

@chi5925   Love how you coordinated the pillows on the sofa with the rug/sofa.  Is that a tepee in the background?

Respected Contributor

Re: Slipcovered sofas

[ Edited ]

@phoenixbrd , I think it is a sailboat.  LM

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs Ikea sells these sofas and matching chairs at an affordable price. 

Respected Contributor

@sweetee2 wrote:

Slipcovers can and are a real pain in the butt. Every time you sit on them they slip or slide out of place. THAT being said I  have had one on my couch in the kitchen for probably 20 years. What I did was put 2 on it. The first one was a neutral beige that you tuck in and covers to the floor. The top one is the one they sell here that like the flaps that goes over the arms and down the back in a floral pattern that works with my kitchen.

If your going to sit on it off and on  all day I would bag it.

@sweetee2 Just a tip to keep your slipcover from moving. Go to the $ store and purchase a foam Noodle that is used in a swimming pool. They are about 4' long and you can buy two and cut to fit. When you are tucking in the cover shove the noodle down in all the way down on top of the cover. This can be used on the back and sides of the chair or sofa. I hope this was not confusing....it really works.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the replies...just what I was looking for, the good and the bad.  I like the idea of washing the covers and possibly changing out for the season.  Thanks!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs 

I had custom slip covers made  for my sofa & loveseat  by a local upholster.

Calio corners fabric company used to have names of  upholsters that they did reagular business with so , it would be easy to check  for customer satisfaction.