Honored Contributor

I didn't want to hijack @Oznell's post of the fall decorating schemes, so I am starting a new thread with my question.

I am thinking about a new sofa and always liked the look of slipcovers.

Is that a 'brand name' or do some sofa's have that option.

I have purchased many sofa's in my life time but never had the option for slip covers.  If anyone has had this style, did you like it and were they easy to remove and clean...then put back on?

I don't want to make any errors, furniture is expensive!

Trusted Contributor

I have at least 3 sets of the sure fit miracle mink furniture covers.. i have a sofa and a chair.. i think they look nice on my furniture... my furniture is about 7 yrs old... its still in good condition, but i wanted something to protect it from stains etc.. you tuck them in but they still do move around a bit.. you need to re-adjust it when you get up... but i still really like them.. i think they are worth it.. 

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

I didn't want to hijack @Oznell's post of the fall decorating schemes, so I am starting a new thread with my question.

I am thinking about a new sofa and always liked the look of slipcovers.

Is that a 'brand name' or do some sofa's have that option.

I have purchased many sofa's in my life time but never had the option for slip covers.  If anyone has had this style, did you like it and were they easy to remove and clean...then put back on?

I don't want to make any errors, furniture is expensive!

B086M7P4LM  from Amz, they look nice and washable for the price I love them,  easy to put on compared to other 

Honored Contributor

@bonnie f ....I have a similar slip cover that I use on a chair that the dog likes...but what I am talking about are fitted slipcovers that are for each cushion..that comes from the factory.

It allows the consumer to pick the cover and they are custom to the sofa.  I did not know if this is a brand name sofa or if some sofas mfg. offer that option.

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs   

Pottery Barn sells slipcovered sofas. You select the fabric. You can check out some styles online. 

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs    Pottery Barn is famous for their slip covered sofas.  Here are a few but there are many more on their website.  I've never had one, no patience to be constantly adjusting and smoothing.

Screenshot_20220808-190534.png

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Slipcovers can and are a real pain in the butt. Every time you sit on them they slip or slide out of place. THAT being said I  have had one on my couch in the kitchen for probably 20 years. What I did was put 2 on it. The first one was a neutral beige that you tuck in and covers to the floor. The top one is the one they sell here that like the flaps that goes over the arms and down the back in a floral pattern that works with my kitchen.

If your going to sit on it off and on  all day I would bag it.

Frequent Contributor

Re: Slipcovered sofas

[ Edited ]

As mentioned, Pottery Barn is one source.  I have a Mitchell Gold chair and ottoman from 1995 that's slipcovered.  I've washed the covers many times and I'm still amazed at how great it looks, no shrinking or weirdness in fit.  It looks like a regular upholstered chair.  I love that I can throw it in the wash!

ETA:  These covers came with the chair/ottoman, very fitted, the back cushion and seat are both zippered.

Honored Contributor

I have a Pottery Barn sofa that came with slipcovers where the back pillows and seat pillows all have separate covers along with a piece that covers the rest. It doesn't shift and holds up well. I've had it for 10 years and it's still as good as new and I have four kids and two dogs plus a cat.  
You can buy different slipcovers to change it out at PB or Etsy sellers who have much more variety of fabric choices.

The downside is the cost.  It was more than I wanted to pay but I've definitely been getting my money's worth. 

Another option is Ikea. I know people consider it more for younger people just starting out because it very affordable, but even the people my age like it and when I've visited, I found it quite comfortable. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Slipcovered sofas

[ Edited ]

My sister has a sofa with slipcovers from Pottery Barn, and she loves it.  She's had it for around four years, and it's held up great.  She takes the cushions off and washes them, and doesn't think it's difficult to do at all.  

You do not need to adjust the cushions/covers at all.  It's a beautiful sofa.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau