Respected Contributor

Either I need to get out from underneath this rock I've been living under or does anyone have any insight as to why Skyline Gifts has fallen off the face of the earth??  They are my primary go to for Jim Shore collectibles & I have shopped with them for years.  I know a month ago when I tried to access their website, an error message came up that stated, "temporarily down".  Wow, what a sad thing if they are not around anymore.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Skyline Gifts????

[ Edited ]

Hi BornToShop, WOW! I just checked myself...definitely MIA for Jim Shore. I ordered several pieces from them a couple of years ago...including a signed St Francis piece...

I just found this link HERE for their Boyds Bears info...I'd say give them a call...

I am clueless as to why...hopefully someone knows Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

They seemed to be the most affordable place for JS items once Cherry Lane, I think it was called, closed.  I can't get their website to open either.  It has been a long time (months) since I remember receiving any emails from them.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SHOPR wrote:

They seemed to be the most affordable place for JS items once Cherry Lane, I think it was called, closed.  I can't get their website to open either.  It has been a long time (months) since I remember receiving any emails from them.  

I never purchased anything from Cherry Lane (just never heard of them). You are correct about Skyline Gifts having affordable prices...which is why I wound up buying most of many pieces from them in 2013.

Prior to 2013, I only had 2 JS pieces...the 30" garden cat in our livingroom and a 4" angel. 

I think I bought about a dozen pieces that year andonly a log snowman set I bought elsewhere. 

I remember at the time I was purchasing the pieces, I would watch all the QVC JS shows and caught several times the host and JS saying a piece they were presenting was 'exclusive to QVC when it wasn't...Skyline was selling it too...and cheaper!!! I remember posting about it but I guess it was no big deal to anyone else...oh well. Interesting though...especially when JS himself was signing the dioramas (at the time) at Skyline a week before selling them on the Q and saying that they were 'exclusive to QVC.

I know I became disheartened, disappointed when I heard JS himself say this. It's one thing that a host will say anything for sales...but JS...

Respected Contributor

@SHOPR wrote:

I also shopped at Cherry Lane.  I was sorry to see them go, however I scored a couple of pricey pieces reduced at a steal due to their liquidation sale.  Skyline's closing seems so abrupt & mysterious.  Even other websites that have closed post a notice stating so.  If anyone finds out any scoop, please post.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

SL, 

I wish they would just stop with the exclusive-to-QVC sell anyway.  But I read something a while back that seemed to say, among other things, that offering merchandise that is supposedly exclusive to them is really the only advantage a shopping channel has over more afforable online retailers.  So, the exclusive angle must really help their sales.

I would have been disappointed, too, if I had heard what you heard in that particular instance.  I would like to believe that either JS didn't want to correct the host on the air, so just went along with the host, or that he has so many pieces that maybe he didn't catch on that it was the very same item he had been signing just the week before.  Maybe they all start looking the same after so many years Cat LOL.  

Another thought is that sometimes Q will claim that something is exclusive to them for a period of time, or the manufacturer will tweak something slightly just for QVC, so that it can be considered exclusive.  It can get confusing, for us and for them.  Also, the timing of distribution could be off and items get in the hands of the other retailers before they are supposed to, I guess.  It can make them look dishonest, whether or not they are intentionally trying to mislead. 

Anyway, just my thoughts and some reasons why I wish they would stop with the exclusive angle. 

Respected Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

@SHOPR wrote:

I never purchased anything from Cherry Lane (just never heard of them). You are correct about Skyline Gifts having affordable prices...which is why I wound up buying most of many pieces from them in 2013.

Prior to 2013, I only had 2 JS pieces...the 30" garden cat in our livingroom and a 4" angel. 

I think I bought about a dozen pieces that year andonly a log snowman set I bought elsewhere. 

I remember at the time I was purchasing the pieces, I would watch all the QVC JS shows and caught several times the host and JS saying a piece they were presenting was 'exclusive to QVC when it wasn't...Skyline was selling it too...and cheaper!!! I remember posting about it but I guess it was no big deal to anyone else...oh well. Interesting though...especially when JS himself was signing the dioramas (at the time) at Skyline a week before selling them on the Q and saying that they were 'exclusive to QVC.

I know I became disheartened, disappointed when I heard JS himself say this. It's one thing that a host will say anything for sales...but JS...

SL, I have a few signed JS pieces from Skyline.  You don't suppose they are not authentic JS signatures & they were shut down?!?!  Lol, couldn't resist.  

Honored Contributor

@BornToShop wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

@SHOPR wrote:

SL, I have a few signed JS pieces from Skyline.  You don't suppose they are not authentic JS signatures & they were shut down?!?!  Lol, couldn't resist.  

No, I don't believe the St Francis piece I had signed is fake in anyway. I have been to Fenton Artglass signings myself, so I have no doubt JS had gone to several gift stores to sign his pieces too. If you read my 1st post above, you are able to call Skyline Gifts...they are not closed down  Smiley Wink