Esteemed Contributor

Anybody have natural stone backsplash? Question

I'm shopping for a kitchen backsplash and I LOVE the look of natural stone. I was told that natural stone is porous and may show grease stains! I know they make a sealer but I don't know if it works well or not. Anybody have a natural stone backsplash? Love it? Hate it?
Respected Contributor

Re: Anybody have natural stone backsplash? Question

[ Edited ]
I don't know if it was sealed, as I'm not the original owner, but I love my light natural stone backsplash in kitchen and bath and shower as well. The only place where there has been a bit if discoloration is the shower wall, but it doesn't look bad to me, more like a natural patina. Mine is all in the light to medium gold/ camel tones.
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks, Azcowgirl, for sharing your experience with natural stone. I actually picked up some more non-stone samples today and--without question---I like the natural stone best! It's really stunning....guess I could just be careful when cooking and watch out for grease splatters.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]
Golden......I think you'll be really glad if you go with the stone. I'm not really careful in the kitchen, and little discolorations just blend in. It's one of those finishes that make a big difference IMO. In one bathroom, I have just one row of it on a backsplash, and Every time I go in there, I notice how it adds a special touch. Enjoy choosing your beautiful new stone. (:
Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:
I'm shopping for a kitchen backsplash and I LOVE the look of natural stone. I was told that natural stone is porous and may show grease stains! I know they make a sealer but I don't know if it works well or not. Anybody have a natural stone backsplash? Love it? Hate it?

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

I have a granite backsplash, and though grease gets on it as it is over the rangetop, it does not show, and I only know it is there when I clean it.  Most granite has striations, which is probably why I can't see anything on it.

Honored Contributor

I just completed a kitchen update, and went with a natural stone backsplash. Two coats of sealer have been applied already, and I am to do another coat of sealer once a week for the next month. The installer assured me the sealer works, and normal kitchen grease would not be a problem, so I had no reservations with my choice.
Esteemed Contributor

Red top - really good to know. Thanks!
Esteemed Contributor

Just love my tumbled marble kitchen back splash. Especially love that I bought two boxes of the tiles at a yard sale for under $10.00 and found a store on my first try where I bought one more box to complete the installation!

Honored Contributor

We installed a natural stone backsplash in the kitchen of the house we just moved from. It was up for 17 years. I would periodically re-seal it but I never was obsessive about it. My tile held up very well. Never stained. But I'm not a messy cook so if I ever splattered something on it, I never knew because it didn't stain or even showed. Good luck, happy shopping for your new tile!

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

I had new Silestone Lagoon quartz counters installed in my kitchen a couple of years ago & for a backsplash, I chose a honed carerra marble mosaic in a Versailles pattern with clear glass 1" tiles interspersed into it for a little bit of extra sparkle.  I've found both the counters & backsplash have been easy to care for.  I think the tile installer sealed the grout in the backsplash.