Trusted Contributor

Re: Shower Door vs Shower Curtain.

LOL I am so glad I am not the only person who hates cleaning the shower door. Curtain all the way! Thanks ladies.

Esteemed Contributor

You can get the interior of glass shower doors treated to male cleaning easier. That said shower curtain. I have two glass that are treated but it’s stiill hard to get in the shower to really clean it. Bad choice for me. Never again. 

Honored Contributor

We have a shower door in the big bathroom and a shower curtain in the smaller bathroom that is off our bedroom.  I much prefer a shower curtain.  I like being able the change up the decor with a new shower curtain and some coordinating towels.  We don't have any problems keeping the shower door clean or perhaps, I should say, our cleaning lady has no problems doing that.  Like so many things in life; both are fine.  It's just a matter of personal preference.  I prefer the curtain and that's where I take all of my showers.

Respected Contributor

I remodeled 3 bathrooms last year. Two we put in a glass door & 1 went for a shower curtain. I have showered in all. The one with the shower curtain can be a pain with some water getting out. I went with the shower curtain in that bathroom because I didn’t want the glass door with that glider I’d have to clean. The other two with glass does not have glider. The glass itself has a “sweep” at the bottom. I especially like the glass I put in my daughters bathroom. It’s s French door style. Not glider thing to thing
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

In the past, I always had curtains.  When we remodeled all the bathrooms in our current house, I went with glass doors.  I regret that.  Not a good choice, especially if you have hard water. 

Im building a new house and will use curtains.  There are such nice options these days...I see them in hotels where I stay.  

Honored Contributor

@J Town Girl  How much room do you have regarding the shower/tub, walls, toilet location, sink, etc? Friend of mine has an accordion glass door because there was no room for a swing out and her shower was too small to accommodate a slider.

We are in the process of designing a bathroom for our eldest son. In order to accommodate his needs, we are having to move the window, cut the sink size in half, move the toilet over about 2 feet, re-do duct work for the vent, take down a wall that separated the toilet and shower from the sing (already removed the door) and remove the tub. There was not enough room to add a swing out door with the original bathroom so...

His shower will be doorless/curtainless. The shower head will be on the ceiling (rainforest with no hard streams of water) with the entire shower lined in small tiles (from floor to ceiling) with cobblestones (even but with built in traction) on the floor  and a built in seat along one wall. The floor of the shower is raised so the water runs down into the next level and pools into a drain (think of a multi-tier desk top fountain). By making it large enough in size, the water won't splash beyond the shower floor but the rest of the bathroom has tile for flooring including the trim around the floor. It sounds bizarre and yet, it's amazing how well it works for those who need a larger space due to a wheelchair, disability, etc. The majority of the bathroom will be the shower which is fine...he doesn't need a double sink with 12 drawers of storage (all but 2 are empty) and a huge mirror. 

Design it as it fits your lifestyle; whatever you like is all that matters. : )

Respected Contributor

The biggest problem with keeping a glass shower door clean is if you have hard water, that combined with shower gel or soap of any kind makes for serious cleaning hassles.  Personally, I like throwing the curtain into the washer and having it come out nice and clean, easy-peasy.  In addition, many years ago I slipped in a shower, hit the glass shower door hard, and it shattered.  That was NOT FUN!!!  DH had to help me clean up the broken glass, thankfully neither of us got cut badly.  I have hated shower doors ever since, I think that's quite understandable.

Respected Contributor

I have had both and prefer a shower door.  However, the doors that we have had are not on a track, but rather hanging and open and close like a regular door.  I use a squeegee and daily shower spray after I shower at it stays really nicely.  HTH

Honored Contributor

Todays shower doors don't have a track! I have 3 showers with a shower curtain and my master bath has trackless shower doors. Love them!

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

Our house has a frosted glass shower door.  Does not show soap scum and is easy to clean.  Our cottage has a curtain that collects mold on the bottom like crazy.  It is in a very humid climate with no air conditioning.  I would never go for a clear glass door unless I could afford someone to come in and squeegee it after each use.