Esteemed Contributor

Today people tip for everything.  Isn,t it the job of the installers to do It.  Years ago we never tipped people for doing their job.  I never remember my parents tipping the furniture men, the carpet layer, the appliance installer.  I found myself tipping also.   When my shutter s installed, I didn,t tip.  The installation included in the price.  Same with floors and carpets.  I did tip when they had to put the bedroom bed together, and only because I asked them.

I am a volunteer and give a good tour for an hour each.  After each tour ,I will be told how great, how informative, how much fun it was, but only twice did I get a tip and I can,t keep it, it has to go to the place I volunteer.  Ok, I have fun and meet nice people, but no one tips and we do work hard and really want to please the tourist.  Most of us are in our late 70,s.  I,m 81.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

NO !!!!

Trusted Contributor

No, I probably wouldn't tip them.

There is one tip I always give at our home and that's when we get a load of hay delivered.  These guys are paid minimum wage and they are lifting and stacking large, unwieldy bales of hay that weigh about 110 pounds each.  We get 30 bales delivered at a time.  I always make sure the barn is cleaned out beforehand, make sure the gate is open and the dog locked up, am friendly, thank them, and give them a tip.  

Esteemed Contributor

@castlenv wrote:

We almost always tip the people who do work for us.  We recently moved into a condo in Chicago and have tipped the roller shade installer, the movers and others who did a good job and were pleasant.  We feel we're in a position to do so, so why not???  And most of the time they are very surprised and appreciative.

In your situation if there's only one installer, he does a good job and is friendly, I'd give him $20.  Generosity is never a mistake.

I always tip in those situations too.  My question usually isn't, "Should I?", but rather "How much?"  It varies depending on how many workers, what's being done, etc.

I agree that $20 is good if there's one installer and he does a good job.

Honored Contributor

@NYC Susan,   Absolutely NOT!  His tip is already in the total amount.  Cat Very Happy  I think that tipping has been going out of control.  If I ever moved again, I would not tip the movers.  That is their job and they earn a salary.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@NYC Susan,   Absolutely NOT!  His tip is already in the total amount.  Cat Very Happy  I think that tipping has been going out of control.  If I ever moved again, I would not tip the movers.  That is their job and they earn a salary.

I disagree.  I moved a few months ago, and I tipped the movers very generously.  They were professional and friendly, calmed my nerves, and did a great job.  It is customary to tip movers.

I don't tip every worker I come into contact with, but I do tip people who come to my home.  My parents did the same.  I don't see it as anything new or going out of control.  I tip when I want to express my appreciation.  It's as simple as that.

Esteemed Contributor

UNless the installers did something extra for you above and beyond the installation you contracted for and paid for I most certainly would not tip.  THis tipping thing is getting entirely out of hand.  THe installers are paid by the company you ordered the windows from and that cost was included in your price.  I agree that tipping in cases like this sets up a expectation that a tip will be received as part of future jobs.  When will this end?