Respected Contributor

We had one built to match the house. We use it as a pool house.....turned out really cute. It’s a place to shower, have a snack, change out of swim suits, sit and enjoy the view.

Honored Contributor

@Azcowgirl wrote:

We had one built to match the house. We use it as a pool house.....turned out really cute. It’s a place to shower, have a snack, change out of swim suits, sit and enjoy the view.

@Azcowgirl. Yes, my ex sil’s family had a beautiful pool house with bathroom, changing rooms, living room, small kitchen/bar. Come to think of it, it was like an apartment! Lol. That would be my kind of she shed. With the pool to go with it.

Esteemed Contributor

I asked a friend with a DH and her response was - I don't want a she shed but would be happy for a he shed.  I will enjoy the comforts of my home and he can furnish the he shed with tool, big screen TV for sports, seating for friends etc etc LOL  wishful thinking 

Respected Contributor

I know this is probably going to sound weird but I would be afraid of spiders getting into the building.      When we bought our house the previous owners had build a shed in the backyard that resembled a cottage.  They carpeted it and put in electricity. It's actually well built and quite nice.   I think the gentleman might have used it for an office.   

We use it to store our christmas decorations along with other things.   Even though I continue to keep it clean by dusting and running the vacuum cleaner on a regular basis I still find spiders inside the building.  I even have one of those plug-in ultra-sonic deterrents that are supposed to help with rodents and spiders.  

I admit, I am very creeped out by spiders.   I can't imagine sitting out there watching TV or reading a book and having a spider crawling around me.   

I know spiders can get into the house but it just seems that a shed would be more of an attractive place for them since it's not used on a regular basis like a room in your house would be.  

That said, if spiders aren't an issue with you and you would enjoy a shed to yourself then go for it.  

I'm just too chicken!

Honored Contributor

@PamelaSue72 wrote:

We are in the process of working on a she-shed. DH is retired and I'm retiring at the end of the year. We bought a shed and insulated and drywalled the shed because we live in a northern area of the country and I do plan to use it year-around. I'm working on paint colors, flooring, lighting, furnishings, etc. It will have a tv (DH has claimed the shed during football season with his buddies) and it has internet service. I have a small fridge in my office that I plan to bring into the shed. No plumbing, no bathroom, etc. It's a place for me to go when the "togetherness" with DH gets to be a little too much. 

Would you take a she-shed? I'm really excited about mine!

@PamelaSue72   It sounds FABULOUS!!  Smiley Happy  If I had one I would make mine very shabby chic....not something that the guys would want to hang out in for a football game.  

I make & sell personalized custom signs on Etsy.  I had a customer a few years ago have me make two signs for her "she-shed".  One was for the porch outdoors and the other was an interior sign...very pink & shabby!

Have fun with yours I'm sure you'll get a lot of pleasure out of it! Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Thank you for your kind words about a she-shed. Here are some pictures of my shed:

ShedFront.jpg

ShedEnd.jpg

These were taken back in May when the shed was first delivered. We have a small copse of trees, both evergreen and deciduous trees. The shed, with a little bit of finangling, fit beautifully there. I can see the back of the house and the inground pool.

We've been working on a bit of landscaping. There are windowboxes on the front.

We just finished (today, in fact) the insulation in the shed and the drywall guys are coming tomorrow to start the drywalling. It has electricity, it has cable tv, and it has internet. By next year, it will have AC. There are two heaters. There's a vault in the ceiling and that vault will be done in beadboard; the rest of the shed will be drywall.

Before it starts to get cold, we need to finish the shed pad to keep the critters away. Oh, and I want to add, too, that the floor of the shed is already insulated. When we ordered the shed, we specifically requested an insulated floor.

The bookcases will be Billy bookcases from Ikea and we will give them a "built-in" look; this will become my library. It's a place for me to go to read, to drink my morning coffee, to enjoy some Netflix, and for DH to watch football games. We do plan on spending some weekends in the shed and I also plan on sleeping there by myself from time to time. 

Last May (2018), DH and I were sitting at the kitchen table, talking about vacations. I rarely go on vacations because of the cats. And then he said, "You know, you should get a she-shed". Well, at first I thought it was a crazy idea. But then.....I decided to go for it. I have to say, too, that I have paid for everything in the shed. DH's contribution is all the work that he's done. For years and years, I've had an account; I added money here and there and saved change, dollars, you name it, I've saved it. So this is my baby. DH said it would be nice to have a small gas fireplace and he even said that if I agreed, he'd pay for that. So....Ok!

Why is the door purple, you may ask? Because that's the color I wanted!

Esteemed Contributor

Please share photos. How wonderful for you as everyone needs a place to decompress. My she shed is master bedroom. I have a nook that I love. Perfect when husband and I aren't viewing same shows. Husband has his area of finished basement leading to patio. He also shares 180 acres of land and cabin with 4 friends from college. We're fans of happy places and decompressing.         

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

My whole house is my she-shed!

Esteemed Contributor

What does one do in a she shed or babe cave? To me, I think it would just be one more place for me to clean.

Is it to escape husbands and the undending black and white westerns, that some people are obsessed with watching (namely mine...)maybe? Or just have solitude? I know of nobody who has one of these.

I can see the attraction, I guess.

Valued Contributor

I think the idea would work if someone had a very small home and just needed that one  room to escape to. We have a nice large, shed out back complete with a cupola and a weather vane. My husband built it. We use it as a garden shed. I would never use it as a she shed because that would be one extra room for me to clean and take care of. I am also not a fan of cutesy names for adult spaces. Just my opinion. I think everyone needs to design and live in their home as they see fit.

We both have a space in our home that we can call our own.