Honored Contributor

Re: Share your storage secrets

I have underbed storage totes and use space bags in my clothes closet.  The linen closet easily holds towels and blankets, and sheets, table cloths, and shower curtains are stored in a 5 drawer chest.   

My daughters have their own bedding for their beds, and store it in their rooms, which is why my storage space is sufficient.   

Respected Contributor

I've been in downsizing mode for 2 yrs. I don't buy a lot of anything extra anymore. 1 thing I have in my closet for storage, & love it....it's a short version on the hanging shoe storage hangers. It has about 6 slots for shoes on top, which I use for small things, gloves & such, then it has a bar for extra hangers. It's very handy, & makes use of a small portion in the closet right by the door for easy access. 1 side of my closet has a bar for longer garments, & 1 has a side with 2 bard for short garments. I keep the storage on the side for longer garments, also where I keep my nicer clothing. 

Respected Contributor

Admittedly I have a lot of stuff! And I love my stuff - for me it's dishware, cookware and holiday decor. 

We added a murphy bed to one of our spare rooms and built matching cabinets across two walls. There is enough room on top of the cabinets for decorative boxes in which I put small decor items. This was a major expense but a good solution for me.

My kitchen pantry is not walk-in but it is very wide - two big doors - with shelves going all the way across. I just recently bought two of the over-the-door hanging shelf units and they are fabulous. I can fit all my big spice containers, baking supplies and condiment jars in the two units, freeing up space for small appliances on the two bottom pantry shelves.

I don't really have any tricks except when I get something new and don't have room for it I purge something old!

Honored Contributor

Although I don't need it, under bed storage boxes can hold a lot of linens and off season clothing.

Respected Contributor

I love to change out decorative pillows with each season, but pillows take up a lot of storage space, so now, I only buy the pillows that zip closed.  I have one set of inserts that I move from pillow to pillow as needed.  All the other inserts were donated.  Just like saving storage with duvet covers vs. comforters, now I only have to store pillow covers which take up far less room than pillows.

Respected Contributor

I use stackable drawers in all under-the-sink cabinets. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Esteemed Contributor

I purge clothing items in the spring and the fall; I purge kitchen items annually that I haven't used; I do not stock up on towels, blankets, sheets, etc. Winter clothes are a problem for storing in my small closets, so I store heavy sweaters, sweatshirts, etc in containers that slide under the bed and the top shelf in my closet. DH salvaged kitchen cabinets from a neighbor who remodeled his kitchen, and hung them in our garage for storing canned food items, pet food, paper towels, etc. Moving from a large home to a much smaller town home sort of forces a person to come up with new storage solutions!

Honored Contributor

I like hatboxes. Decorative and functional. Also suitcases are good for storing things, since they don't usually get used all that often. I have a very large suitcase that I used to travel with years ago, before post 9/11 and all the new rules. Sometimes I store out of season clothes in it. Or linens. I've been thinking recently about donating it.

The decorative boxes at Michael's are pretty and good for small clutter.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Valued Contributor

I have a lot of blankets and quilts too, mominohio, that I have been working to have a place for.   I have plastic storage containers on wheels that fit under my bed and slide out easily that I keep some bankets in.  I have a large ottoman at the foot of my bed which is as wide as my bed which holds a LOT of blankets and its a convenient place for me to sit to pull on socks and whatnot.   I have two dressers in other bedrooms that I put cotton woven blankets and quilts in, nothing but blankets in them, lol, no clothing. ...   But my biggest and most expensive blanket storage solution was adding tall, expensive wood storage cabinets to the smallest of my three bedroom.   I have virtually made that little bedroom into a walk in closet (wish I had a real one but my house is too small for it)  (see photo).  I plan on storing other things in those tall cabinets besides blankets/quilts.IMG_3611.JPGIMG_3616.JPG

Respected Contributor

I definitely take advantage of underbed space. I do not buy under bed  storage boxes, the things I put under there, are larger and flatter - basically stacked, things I really never use, just keeping to swap things out if I get that “hmmm, what can I do different?”or the, “what else do I have to use?” urge  to change something around here,

Clothes wise, I use large covered plastic storage bins inside my closet against the walls around the perimeter. For like clothes that do not fit right now, or ones I am tired of but want to keep for future use. I did go thru EVERY thing  in there and did giveaway or trash every piece I know I would never wear again. 

I also have roll out shelves under the bath sinks. And a rolling cart in the pantry also. I actually need a rolling shelf for under the kitchen sink  - just haven’t gotten around to buying one though..,

Storage ottomans, decorative trunks, covered baskets - all wonderful and useful around here too! 🙂

-Texas Hill Country-