Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624  Same here. I got my Singer Golden Touch and Sew about 1969 or 1970. Did all the sewing you mentioned and it is still a beauty. I recently had to purchase a new dog feed and I went ahead and had it cleaned, etc. for the first time. I had always maintained it myself. I love that machine and think I may be buried with it. LOL

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

@pattypeep.  Mine is a portable but it's all very heavy metal.  The only fancy thing is does is zigzag, and that's all I ever needed.  I have one of those old fashioned buttonhole makers with the dies, that makes very nice buttonholes.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@Ane1Care

Very helpful information.  I will check out some of those videos for my next purchase.

@phoenixbrd

Thanks.  I love doing both...since I don't have the emotional strength to foster the critters or work with children, this at least gives me an opportunity to help them.

Can’t think of many others that tug on my heart strings like kiddos and animals❣️ I wish I had the emotional strength to donate tons of time to both, but here’s how it would go, “Hi Honey. Look what I found!” EVERY DAY!❤️

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Sewing machine

[ Edited ]

A couple years ago I did an extensive research when I was in the market for a good machine. I had a basic Singer years ago, which was a workhorse, except for working on fine, silky fabrics.

For the money and all the features I wanted, I got another Singer, this time a Stylist 7258, for the auto buttonholer, 100 decorative stitches, etc., but also it had great reviews for reliability and durability. I couldn't be happier!

I've made curtain sheers, backpacks & bags, but mostly dresses for my granddaughters, sometimes for myself. Does fine fabrics beautifully!

Happy sewing!

And if you are ever in a sewing conundrum, there are great youtube tutorials!

Honored Contributor

It really depends on what type of sewing you want to get back into.

Occasional outfits, alterations and repairs would only need a basic machine. 

I can't offer any suggestions as to what to buy. 

I have been sewing and quilting for 50+ years and have only ever used and owned Kenmores.  Sears stopped selling/making them many years ago.  I hope the one I own now lasts as long as the one before because I have no idea what I would buy. 

Respected Contributor

I've been sewing since I was 12 (now 65) and Janome is far and away the best brand for everyday use.  I've even replaced zippers in jeans.  Get a mid range model.  They are the easiest to thread and they last forever.  I finally had to replace mine after almost 40 years of hard sewing.  I made my work clothes and western shirts for my husband, son, and FIL.  Home items as well.  I got another Janome and last year I added a Janome embroidery machine.  LOVE IT!  Now I can put fun things on shirts for me and my grandkids.  I would stay far away from Singer and Brother's seem to have lots of problems with tension settings.  Many times there are sewing and crafting expos and local shops have good deals on machines or Amazon, Costco and other online retailers have much better prices.  Depends on what services you want.  Retail stores offer free classes to get the most from your machine.

Respected Contributor

@CelticCrafterFYI Janome made those old Kenmores.  I didn't know that until I was talking to a Janome rep at a sewing expo.

Regular Contributor

My first machine was a Kenmore in high school.  After 30 years or so I replaced it with a Singer.  Was surprised and disappointed that every time I used it something broke because all the parts were plastic.  Not at all like the older models which last forever.  I threw it in the dump.  Before I retired I bought a Janome because I was /am heavily into quilting.  For simple sewing like you do dont buy a high end machine.  Janomes are good and they also make the lower end models for Bernina.  I bought a BabyLock serger a couple years ago and pain way too much for the name.  Dont make the same mistake.  I you are on a tight budget buy a used machine.  The local Sew and Vacs sell them all tuned up.  

Esteemed Contributor

Here's what I do: first, decide on your budget. Decide on what features you want: basic sewing/mending or more elaborate stitches. 

I think Brother and Singer are good brands. I know there ae others. I purchased my last one at JoAnn's. I also have a sewing machine repair shop in my area and they sell refurbished machines. There are some great buys in these places. If you have a local paper check the adds there. Our little township paper always have listings.

My most important concerns were ease of use and threading the machine and bobbin. Nothing can make a fast fix take an hour if this task is a "pain". Take your time and see the vareity that is available. These machines last a long time (usually) and can be repaired so get the model that works for you.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@ShopperL.  I got my Singer in 1964; for years it had really heavy use.  I made all of my work wardrobe, things for the house including heavy draperies, and even a canopy for a boat.  I don't sew much anymore, but the machine is still going strong, good as new

Oh @Kachina624, I know where you're coming from.  My Kenmore machine is 30 years old and I hope to have it for many more years.  it sews like a champ and we know each other well after all this time.  I've started sewing again after quite a few years and it feels as if I'm back with an old friend.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett