Frequent Contributor

I'm looking to buy a sewing machine.  My mother bought me one 35 years ago when I got married.  I made all of the curtains/drapes for my first new house.   It has long since broken down and I donated it.  I want to get back into sewing and I'm looking for a machine.  What are good brands?  What should I look for?  WHere did you get your machine?  Any tips would be appreciated.  TIA.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Sewing machine

[ Edited ]

Hi @ShopperL

I recently bought a Janome to replace a misbehaving Brother sewing machine.

This is not a high end machine, but it does what I needed it to do.

Most of my sewing is on fleece making blankets for Project Linus and local animal rescues.  It has really done well on that thicker fabric.

A friend of mine who is an expert sewer bought a Bernina top of the line machine many years ago and still has it.

The women in my blanket group also buy VERY high end Berninas and Janome's and use the quilting feature.  One very nice lady spent over $10,000 for her Bernina machine and lots of extra features!  I nearly choked when she told me that.  But she sews/quilts EVERY day and loves her machine.  Said it was well worth it.

A local shop will be there for you if you need service, but I did buy mine on line.

Again, it was very basic, but I'm happy with it.  One thing I avoided was the automatic threading feature. Many people had negative views of that.  

Most of the machines now are much lighterweight than the older ones.  That seems to be a major complaint as well.

I adore sewing and never happier when I hear the machine humming along!

Let us know what kind you decide on.

Honored Contributor

@ShopperL.  I got my Singer in 1964; for years it had really heavy use.  I made all of my work wardrobe, things for the house including heavy draperies, and even a canopy for a boat.  I don't sew much anymore, but the machine is still going strong, good as new

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Love thisHeart

@Witchy Woman wrote:

Most of my sewing is on fleece making blankets for Project Linus and local animal rescues.  It has really done well on that thicker fabric.

Super Contributor

If you watch YouTube videos, there’s a lady on there from Florida whom owns a sewing class. She does tutorials, and demos on her YouTube. She shows all different types of machines, her thoughts on them, and whom she thinks it would be best for. Her name is Vanessa The Cafty Gemini   Here is her demo videos for machines Demos. I have a Janome 2212 she speaks of in one of the videos, and a Brother SE625. Brother has a channel that demos it here, SE625

Esteemed Contributor

@Ane1Care

Very helpful information.  I will check out some of those videos for my next purchase.

@phoenixbrd

Thanks.  I love doing both...since I don't have the emotional strength to foster the critters or work with children, this at least gives me an opportunity to help them.

Honored Contributor

@ShopperL

Happy sewing machine shopping. My 1972 high school graduation gift from my parents was a portable Singer sewing machine.  I made outfits through the years.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 @OKPrincess  My Singer sewing machine is about a 1965. Not a gift, but I was sewing many of my own clothing on mom's old, old machine she bought when she was first married in 1946! Think she felt sorry for me (or else she wanted a new machine, too). Anyway, we picked out a new machine and when I married in 1969 it went to live with me. Mom remarried a couple of years later and seldom had time to sew again (on her original Singer). She could make the old machine hum!  Smiley Happy

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady.  I even have my aunt's old Feather Weight Singer which, I figured by researching the serial number, was made in early '50s.  It's in mint condition.  This lady had no children and wasn't into crafts or things like sewing.  I imagine she rarely used it.  I think I need to think about selling it as I'll never use it. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@Ane1Care

Very helpful information.  I will check out some of those videos for my next purchase.

@phoenixbrd

Thanks.  I love doing both...since I don't have the emotional strength to foster the critters or work with children, this at least gives me an opportunity to help them.

I just got an image of pieces of your heart going into each item you create, @Witchy Woman - and coming back to you over and over as each item is used and loved.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.