Valued Contributor

I have a huge window in my living room.  In the past I had heavy drapes, but over the years, took off the drapes, kept the valance and have sheers.  I'm tired of that look now, and am thinking about a scarf valance (the kind you just drape over your rod). I will keep the sheers.  

I googled around and read where you can use pretty sheets or fabric shower curtains. However, I don't want them to look like I just threw a sheet up there!Smiley Wink Can anyone recommend something?  BTW, I don't sew!  Thanks.  

Frequent Contributor

Check your local jcpenney window department they have displays out that you can see😃

Super Contributor

Re: Scarf valance

[ Edited ]

You might find some ideas on pinterest, the DIY network website, HGTV website or any of the home magazine websites.  I do sew but often resort to many of the no sew options available today.

Honored Contributor

@chihuahuamom- looking forward to the responses you receive.

There is very large, heavy hardware for drapes in my living and dining rooms, and I have always disliked drapes, so the decision for us will be whether to take the hangers down and never use drapes, to use some kind of drapes during cold weather and semi-sheers the rest of the year, or to find some sort of drapes I can live with.

A scarf. Style valance might help solve my problem too!

Honored Contributor

Oh my goodness scarf valances went out in the early 90's! Take a look at some current home fashion magazines to possibly get a hint of whats popular today. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

Re: Scarf valance

[ Edited ]

@ID2 wrote:

Oh my goodness scarf valances went out in the early 90's! Take a look at some current home fashion magazines to possibly get a hint of whats popular today. 

I don't care what's "out" or "in" personally. If I like the way something looks in my house, you'll find it there.

If someone's offended by my look, I explain (with tongue in cheek) that it's retro.

Esteemed Contributor

I like the look of a scarf valance. They sell them or you can make them (without sewing). I have had more than a few over the years and have done both. If you want to purchse I recommend going with crushed voile (requires the least amount of care and fussing) . I like  BB&B and Altmeyers. I also have ordered from Country Curtains on line( more than country designs)

If you prefer to make them they sell rods that you can string the sheer panel around and make a valance. I prefer the easier path and use that decor wrap foam kit. It's a matter of just pushing the fabric into the slits and hanging it up. It fits over different types of rods or hook, etc.

IIf neither of those appeal to you then my last choice is the baloon valance that hangs lower on your window. These I purchase. I like that look becaue my windows are large and I need to block some of the sun during the day.    

Honored Contributor

My girlfriend bought some fabric that was a very pretty blue and had sparkles in it. We cut it to 2 1/2 times the length of the rod and hand hemmed it then she wrapped her rods and left about 2ft hanging down on each side. The window has shades over it. Looks nice.

Honored Contributor

Personally, I don't like what they are doing with windows these days - either putting nothing so you have no privacy and at night the window is a big black hole  or they put some kind of shades on. I was very perplexed what to put on the windows when we moved to Fl  but as soon as I walked into a store called shutters, blinds and designs I knew the perfect solution - shutters, and that is what I have on every window in my house. On the wall of glass where my sliding doors are I have a honeycomb shade that pulls closed from left to rt side, and closes to only about 4 " wide when opened. I am just not comfortable with open,uncovered windows at night.I need my privacy.

Honored Contributor

I love shutters too.