Honored Contributor

Saving OLD wall to wall carpeting?

A friend asked me a question, and since I don't have, never had, and probably never WILL have wall to wall carpeting, I said I'd post here.

She has very light colored carpeting, and a very quiet household, and the other day, had to move a heavy (very heavy) chair while having some electrical work done.

The chair had made a deep, firm impression mark in the carpet, and was rust colored. After freaking out, she moved another piece and found the same thing.

She's having a professional rug cleaner come the first of the week, but she ( and I ) were wondering if they will be able to get the marks/indentations out, or she'll have to have the carpet replaced. Thoughts?

Respected Contributor

Re: Saving OLD wall to wall carpeting?

My thought is to move the same furniture back to the exact same spots and be done with it. 

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

As to the dents, I had a vague recollection about ice cubes.  Here's what I just saw after googling:

"Move your furniture to uncover carpet dents.
Drop 1 ice cube in each dent. Large or long dents may require multiple ice cubes.
Let the ice cubes melt. ...
Check the results the next morning. ...
If the nap hasn't recovered completely, use a fork to gently lift remaining carpet fibers.
Repeat for persistent dents."

Hopefully, carpet cleaner can remove the stains.

Honored Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

My thought is to move the same furniture back to the exact same spots and be done with it. 

LOL- that was what I THOUGHT TOO!!!!!

Honored Contributor

I fixed those dents with steam once but I can't address the rust marks.

Honored Contributor

In reality the dents will rise some over time, and the ice or steam are ways to help that happen, but honestly, they never go away fully, if the items were really heavy and sat for a long period of time.

As for the rust, good luck. We have some on light carpet under some furniture, and nothing we have used has worked. Spot Shot lightens it some, but some spots are never gone.

Trusted Contributor

I believe the rust stain will only lighten up. The dents do come out with the cubes,steam and combing.  I have a very heavy entertainment unit 5 feet by 2 feet that i had to use this system on every time I moved it.  She might try using vinegar and baking soda on the stain.  Remind her to put some wax paper under legs of furniture that hae those metal things on them.     Let us know how it turns out.

I had a pale lemonade colored carpet that turned black, because of much activity.  I now have a laminated wood floor.

Honored Contributor

I shampooed my living room carpet a couple months ago and had those dents.  I kept going over the area with the shampooer and they came out.  I would think the cleaning company would remove them.  I'd mention it to them before they started.

Honored Contributor

I had some rust spots left on my carpet after moving a metal plant stand...and it also left dents there. This is what I did:

First spray the spots with plain tap water...enough to make it wet but not puddle.

Then take some Barkeepers Friend powder, lightly sprinkle the damp area.

Take a damp cloth  and rub in circles to work the powder into the carpet.

Rinse cloth and repeat until you have removed  the rust satin.

Remove dent with steam either steam mop, clothes steamer...try to "pick up" carpet      fibers while steaming so they fluff back in place.

Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

When I have the carpet cleaned they used to put all the furniture back on styrofoam blocks to prevent the rust spots.

The end tables don't have legs, they resemble old fashioned ice boxes and the coffee table is a cedar chest and having them teeter on small blocks is dangerous. 

Last time I had it done, I told them no, leave the tables out of the room, I would put them back myself when it had dried and not to put the two sofas on the blocks.  I don't care if a small rust spot does appear.  There is only 1 way the room can be set up, so it's all going back where it was.