Trusted Contributor

OK, so I accidentally used fabric softeners on my micro cloths. You are not supposed to do that. Does it mean these are no longer good for doing what they are supposed to  Is there a way to counteract what I did? Maybe if I rewashed them several times the fabric softener would go away and they would be ok? Help.

Honored Contributor

Re: Salvaging microsoft towels

@baileysue  The fabric softener just makes them non-absorbant.  Just rewash them with no softener.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I buy (just for microcloths) liquid detergent that is all free and wash them in that. They said no dryer either so I hang them up in the laundry room. Have a little clothes line. I buy them at costco and share with my daughter. Love them so much but rewash them all the time even add 2nd rinse just incase they absorb detergent. Think if you rewash you should be fine.

Esteemed Contributor

@geegerbee, you could also use vinegar in place of the fabric softener and that will remove all residue from the clothes.  Definitely salvageable.  LM

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Exactly the same question I woke up with this morning.  Tired last night and just threw everything into the wash with fabric softener. I was planning to try rewashing a couple of times.  So glad you asked this question .Hope suggestions work!!

Trusted Contributor

@Lilysmom Yes, you are right.  I did the vinegar rinse when I accidentally used fabric softener and it did the job.  Three cheers for vinegar :-)

Esteemed Contributor

@Perkup, we use vinegar in the gpfabric softener drawer when we do all towels and workout wear.  It's a great cleaner.  Been using it for years.  It is also good to freshen up front loading washing machines.  LM

Trusted Contributor

Do you mean microfiber cloths? Isn't Microsoft a computer/technology company? Maybe what you're talking about I'm not aware of and if so, I'm sorry!