Respected Contributor

Re: SUGGESTIONS FOR NEW WASHING MACHINE PLEASE

@software wrote:

@BirkiLady wrote:

@ImaoldhippieDoubt you'd want to purchase an appliance from Sear's anymore. They have been in financial dificulty for years, have been closing more stores each year and are about to call it quits. It's been in the news. Going the way of Montgomery Wards. Buy from a company who will be around for PARTS and service for many years in the future. 

Sears will be around in some form.   They will make arrangements for their products.   Their craftsmen tools are guaranteed for life, they made a deal with another tool company (can't recall the name) to carry the brand and honor the warranty

I think the Kenmore & Whirlpool brands are interchangeable   I have a top load Kenmore large capacity, with a gentle cycle.  It's 15 years old.   Going strong.  The only repair necessary I was able to do myself.   Part was easy to find.    When it's time to replace I'll replace it with another Kenmore.

I haven't heard a lot of good things about buying large appliances from Lowe's.   I have a friend wrestling with them right now.   You have to deal with Lowes, then their service company before you ever get a chance to deal with the manufacturer.   Her washer is less than 2 months old and the bearing is gone.  I don't recall the brand.

@software the top load Kenmore are now made by LG and the front load are made by Whirlpool. 

Respected Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@ImaoldhippieDoubt you'd want to purchase an appliance from Sear's anymore. They have been in financial dificulty for years, have been closing more stores each year and are about to call it quits. It's been in the news. Going the way of Montgomery Wards. Buy from a company who will be around for PARTS and service for many years in the future. 

@BirkiLady  Was thinking the exact same thing.  I wouldn't purchase any appliance from them anymore.  Sadly,  I don't think we'll be seeing this company around much longer.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

@software wrote:

@BirkiLady wrote:

Sears will be around in some form.   They will make arrangements for their products.   Their craftsmen tools are guaranteed for life, they made a deal with another tool company (can't recall the name) to carry the brand and honor the warranty

I think the Kenmore & Whirlpool brands are interchangeable   I have a top load Kenmore large capacity, with a gentle cycle.  It's 15 years old.   Going strong.  The only repair necessary I was able to do myself.   Part was easy to find.    When it's time to replace I'll replace it with another Kenmore.

I haven't heard a lot of good things about buying large appliances from Lowe's.   I have a friend wrestling with them right now.   You have to deal with Lowes, then their service company before you ever get a chance to deal with the manufacturer.   Her washer is less than 2 months old and the bearing is gone.  I don't recall the brand.

@software the top load Kenmore are now made by LG and the front load are made by Whirlpool. 

Thanks for the info.

Probably the next more important decision is to buy from someone who will stand behind their product.   My friend is still getting the run around from Lowe's on her 2 MONTH old Maytag.     

Respected Contributor

wrote:

@winamac1   MAYTAG.  Maytag has been around for many years and very reliable.  I owned one when I had my townhouse and had absolutely no problems and then I had one in an apt. I rented.  Different models offer different features.  I am still inclined to prefer the top washer with the agitator.  You can still have a gentle cycle with it.   Cat Very Happy

I've owned a Maytag washer & dryer for 6 years, & both died. They've been the biggest pieces of garbage I've ever purchased- one headache after another. I can easily say that I hate that brand. 

I just (finally!) bought Speed Queen 2017 models- they arrive tomorrow. I can't wait! 

Respected Contributor

About 5 years ago I got a new LG washer and dryer (front loader).  I've been happy with it.  I've had some "issues" with it after a big move across country.  I don't think the trucker/moving company took the best of care of my stuff.  It had to be moved so many times because the truck broke down.  It makes more noise than before my move and had to replace the mother board.  Only my washer though.  At an appliance store where I used to live that was known to have knowledgable sales staff recommended Maytag.  Said they were dependable and part much easier and faster to get.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

@winamac1   MAYTAG.  Maytag has been around for many years and very reliable.  I owned one when I had my townhouse and had absolutely no problems and then I had one in an apt. I rented.  Different models offer different features.  I am still inclined to prefer the top washer with the agitator.  You can still have a gentle cycle with it.   Cat Very Happy

I've owned a Maytag washer & dryer for 6 years, & both died. They've been the biggest pieces of garbage I've ever purchased- one headache after another. I can easily say that I hate that brand. 

I just (finally!) bought Speed Queen 2017 models- they arrive tomorrow. I can't wait! 

@spot555. You are fortunate.  I've called 3 dealers and they can't find anymore 2017 except one store had the basic model and no dryer.  I have to choose Maytag or Whirlpool.   I'm not risking the 2018 models for Speed Queen.  The reviews are not good! 

Lucky you!!

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

wrote:

my only suggestion would be don't spend a lot of $$$ on washer or any other -- my GE appliances died after 5 years!

I'm slowly replacing them..according to the repairmen who came (and talking to others) appliances don't last long anymore!  In my case, I've replaced washer & dryer, microwave, dishwasher & now the stove is starting to "act up".  The appliance repair man told me main "board & thermostat" are going bad (this stove will be 5 years old in May😡).

@homedecor1

You are so right--most appliances do not last.  My friend who used to work at the now closed HHGregg told me that the appliances are meant to only last 5 years or so .  They want you to constantly have to replace them.

I hope I have good luck with the top loading Maytag.  I do not want any front loader as 9 out of 10 of my friends hate their front loaders.  I wanted Speed Queen, but I could not find any 2017 models in my area.  

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Win-

Did you try calling the Speed Queen company? Maybe they can help you get the 2017 models. I spoke with my local store today about my delivery, & they said the 2018 models won't ship for 2 more weeks. They still have 2017 in stock. 

Btw, I bought the non-computer models....that's what I wanted. 

I called the SQ company a few months ago to ask some questions. That's when the sales associate told me about the new 2018 models. The ONLY reason they had to change was because of gov. regulations- they had no choice. 

The new models may still be a 1000% better than the other garbage brands on the market. 

Good luck- keep us posted.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

wrote:

I bought the 2017 manual Speed Queen a few months ago based on recommendations from this forum and I love it.

I use the regular cycle 99% of the time.

It has several cycles and sizes.  I love the mini cycle.  Sometimes I just need to wash 1 thing and it's great to be able to do that without running a small load.  It also has the Eco cycle, so I can run a mini load with very little water.  I did that with an area rug I wanted to try to clean.

@VaBelle35 LOVE my Speed Queen, it is a pleasure to do laundry.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

I bought the 2017 manual Speed Queen a few months ago based on recommendations from this forum and I love it.

I use the regular cycle 99% of the time.

It has several cycles and sizes.  I love the mini cycle.  Sometimes I just need to wash 1 thing and it's great to be able to do that without running a small load.  It also has the Eco cycle, so I can run a mini load with very little water.  I did that with an area rug I wanted to try to clean.

@VaBelle35 LOVE my Speed Queen, it is a pleasure to do laundry.

@panda1234  I know!  It's been 6 months and I still find myself marveling at how dry everything spins.  I have to really pull my sheets open before getting them into the dryer.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN