Honored Contributor

Re: SUGGESTIONS FOR NEW WASHING MACHINE PLEASE

My kitchen appliances are only a year old, my washer and dryer 2 yrs old.  I still would buy Kenmore as most parts are interchangable and I doubt that all Sears stores will close for quite a while.  Probably not in my life time anyway.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

My sister just bought a new washing machine.  It's an LG.  She loves it.  

Valued Contributor

Our Samsung just went bad in November last year.  

Even though I wasn't crazy about it or the dryer we got an estimate on the washer repair. 

It was much less expensive to replace it than to get it repaired.

We shopped for different brands and I read online reviews 

on just about all brands.

We finally chose Whirlpool and have no regreat at all.  I just love it. 

We ended up selling the dryer that was still working fine and bought the Whirlpool dryer too.

Now, I love to do the laundry.  Overall everything comes out so much better.

Super Contributor

Speed Queen seems to get a lot of good reviews on this forum.  However, a little over a year ago, I purchased an LG and I've been pleased with it, with the exception that I cannot reach the bottom.  It doesn't have an agitator and its deeper than my original Whirlpool.  Never thought about not being able to reach the bottom -- so if you are 5'4" or shorter, you might want to keep that in mind.

Happy shopping!

Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@ImaoldhippieDoubt you'd want to purchase an appliance from Sear's anymore. They have been in financial dificulty for years, have been closing more stores each year and are about to call it quits. It's been in the news. Going the way of Montgomery Wards. Buy from a company who will be around for PARTS and service for many years in the future. 

Sears will be around in some form.   They will make arrangements for their products.   Their craftsmen tools are guaranteed for life, they made a deal with another tool company (can't recall the name) to carry the brand and honor the warranty

I think the Kenmore & Whirlpool brands are interchangeable   I have a top load Kenmore large capacity, with a gentle cycle.  It's 15 years old.   Going strong.  The only repair necessary I was able to do myself.   Part was easy to find.    When it's time to replace I'll replace it with another Kenmore.

I haven't heard a lot of good things about buying large appliances from Lowe's.   I have a friend wrestling with them right now.   You have to deal with Lowes, then their service company before you ever get a chance to deal with the manufacturer.   Her washer is less than 2 months old and the bearing is gone.  I don't recall the brand.

Trusted Contributor

A couple of years ago, I bought a new GE washer from Home Depot.  The one demand that I had was that I could control the amount of water going into the machine.  I am all for the environment, but my DIL's machine uses so little water per load, and clothes are all heaped together.  Just my preference, but a deal breaker for me.

Trusted Contributor

yes, I am 5ft 2 in and  had difficulty finding a top load machine for the same reason you mentioned.  That is why i went with the ge model, the tul was wide but not as deep. Although i liked some of the features on other brands, they would not have worked for me because i could not reach in to get items out of the machine. I still even have to use a grabber or reacher for some item is my ge. Thanks for bringing up this point.

Honored Contributor

About 6 weeks ago I purchased a new Whirlpool top loader and am extremely satisfied with this washer, even tho others gave it poor reviews.   

This washer has the different wash cycles I need, as well as a deep water selection that was extremely important to me.  My clothes are clean and totally wet when they come out of the washer, so I am happy to be rid of the water saving front loader Bosch I got rid of.   I too have problems reaching deep enough into the tub to retrieve socks and other small items, but am still pleased with my choice.   

With tax, my washer was about $520.    

Honored Contributor

@winamac1   MAYTAG.  Maytag has been around for many years and very reliable.  I owned one when I had my townhouse and had absolutely no problems and then I had one in an apt. I rented.  Different models offer different features.  I am still inclined to prefer the top washer with the agitator.  You can still have a gentle cycle with it.   Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

About 6 weeks ago I purchased a new Whirlpool top loader and am extremely satisfied with this washer, even tho others gave it poor reviews.   

This washer has the different wash cycles I need, as well as a deep water selection that was extremely important to me.  My clothes are clean and totally wet when they come out of the washer, so I am happy to be rid of the water saving front loader Bosch I got rid of.   I too have problems reaching deep enough into the tub to retrieve socks and other small items, but am still pleased with my choice.   

With tax, my washer was about $520.    

Thanks!   Would you happen to know the model #?

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"