Honored Contributor

Does anyone have something that really works to kill a spider, earwig or house centipedes? Something that kills on contact!?

In the Spring and Summer there are way too many spiders in the apartment and they freak me out. They pop up now and then during that time of the year.  Not as many as an Exterminator is needed. Plus this place would not get one, they are too cheap.

I have tried hairspray and it will work but takes so much and takes awhile lol.

I read that you can use Lysol spray.  I have not tried it.

I wonder if you can vaccumn bugs up with your sweeper? I did this and taped the end of the hose! I kept hoping they would not find a way out!!!

I dont wanna use toxic spider spray or anything toxic though.

Thank you!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Respected Contributor

An exterminator.

Honored Contributor

LOL its not that bad to need one thankfully. They just pop up now and then in the Spring and Summer.

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Esteemed Contributor

I swear by Raid Bug Barrier.  I know you said you didn't want bug sprays but this stuff really works!

I spray it arround my windows and doors. I have a centipede problem .Every year they march up my stairs,under the door and  right into the house. 

Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

Peppermint EO and Neem oil works well to repel many crawling insects. There are many recipes on-line for sprays to make and they work without toxicity to humans or pets.

Respected Contributor

Another vote for essential oils.....I use cedar wood , peppermint, and neem oil drops in a couple cups of water in a spray bottle.

Good luck keeping the creepy crawlers out 🐞🕷🦂🐜🐛

Honored Contributor

I used to have Orkin (a large exterminator company) come to my house once a month.

Now that was around 13 years ago.  But back then the guy always said there was nothing he could spray that would kill spiders because their body is ABOVE wherever he could spray.

Maybe there's something different now.  We started having them spray because we had termites.

About 2 months ago I killed a wood spider.  They're very scary and big but they don't hurt anything.  My late husband would pick up spiders and throw them outside...Ugh!

I don't like them either.  I will tell you as far as I'm concerned everyone who has a healthy fear/dislike for spiders is very smart.

A quick note:  Recently my late husband's sister had a stroke.  She recovered with only some weakness (sorry to use the word 'only' but it's better than what could have happened.

Then a few weeks later she had something else happen.  She was hospitalized for a week (so many 'procedures' done on her they lost count).

Here's what they finally found.  Her brain was swelling.  What do you think was the cause?  A SPIDER BITE!

I don't think they figured out what kind of spider.  She remembered she'd been bitten back in the Summer!  At the time it got a little red and was the size of a pimple.  Had it not done that, she'd have never noticed it.

They course of treatment was massive antibiotics.  As far as I know she's finally getting better.

Bottom line.  Don't make friends with a spider, you never know.

Honored Contributor

@CherryHugsYou could get a bug vacuum.  Amazon has them but they don't kill them.  You have to dump what you vacuum up out.  I have one and I find it works well.

Trusted Contributor

I have the Orkin Man here every 3 months........used to be every month, but I found 4 times per year sufficient : )

Honored Contributor

Oh NO that is just awful about that spider bite doing that! That is scary!!

I dislike bugs so much. Creepy crawlies freak me out.