Trusted Contributor

Re: SUGGESTIONS FOR NEW WASHING MACHINE PLEASE

wrote:

wrote:
@just bee wrote:

wrote:

I don’t like the energy saving features on the newer washers. I have learned to override them on my top loader.

When it doesn’t want to fill the water to a higher level I turn and hold the button that shows small, medium and large to beyond the large load size and it will keep filling up. As it is, it only fills up maybe 3/4.  

Also, when I want hot water to wash towels or bedding I want hot. The energy saving feature doesn’t allow that and automatically adds cold water to my hot loads. So then it’s warm, not hot. Even though it’s inconvenient,  I have been turning off the cold water behind the washer. Then when it’s done washing and ready for the rinse cycle I make sure the cold water is turned back on. 

I don’t like that they’ve decided how much water I’ll use and how hot my water can be. Glad I got around that. 

@Teddie

You rebel, you. Woman Wink

@just bee

Oh, if you only knew ...  

@Teddie

Priceless!

I have a feeling you have an opinion about the "lightbulbs," too.  Ghastly things! Woman LOL

Oh yes, I do have an opinion about those lightbulbs! I like soft lighting and don’t like being forced into bright lights. 

Contributor

wrote:

Ladies...hello.  Who has a suggestion for a new washing machine that truly does have a gentle or handwash cycle?  I wash a lot in the gentle cycle, and my Samsung is going out on me.  It also never seems to really wash on a delicate cycle.

I want top loading and I want white.  Price can go as high as $1000 or even $1200.  Has anyone bought one recently?  I also need to be able to wash my lightweight down comforter.  THanks!

@winamac1 I had an older Maytag I loved and bought another one about 2 months ago and hated it. I just bought my first Speed Queen it's the  2017 model and love it! The Maytag took about an hour and 15 minutes to do a sorry job and the Speed Queen does a great job in about 30 minutes.

Trusted Contributor

wrote:

@winamac1We just got a new Maytag top load washer without the agitator.  It also does not fill up with water like the others but fills slowly (so it doesn't affect any other water use in the house also) and only enough for the amount of clothing you put in and not just small, medium or large load settings.  The delicate cycle is so gentle and without the agitator nothing to get caught on.  Also with no agitator, it can accomodate a huge amount of clothing or comforters, etc.  I absolutely love it.

Can anyone help me, I have a machine without the agitator and I SWEAR the machine does NOT Clean the clothes as well as the machine with the agitators.  The clothes just sits in the water.  My husband has a skin issue and after the clothes is washed you can "still" smell that smell of his skin problem.  That is how I learned, wait these new machines are NOT CLEANING the clothes well.

If anyone has any tips on what I can do please let me know.  I have added soaking time to each load and added more bleach and also I have to wash all the clothes on the larger  load so the entire tank is filled with water.  Any tips will be appreciated.

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Contributor

Speed Queen!   They are simply the best. 

Trusted Contributor

We have a Kenmore Elite washer and dryer that we purchased 2001, energy effiecient front end loader and they are still going strong and have not had any problems at all these years. Knock on Wood

Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

Ladies...hello.  Who has a suggestion for a new washing machine that truly does have a gentle or handwash cycle?  I wash a lot in the gentle cycle, and my Samsung is going out on me.  It also never seems to really wash on a delicate cycle.

I want top loading and I want white.  Price can go as high as $1000 or even $1200.  Has anyone bought one recently?  I also need to be able to wash my lightweight down comforter.  THanks!

@winamac1 I had an older Maytag I loved and bought another one about 2 months ago and hated it. I just bought my first Speed Queen it's the  2017 model and love it! The Maytag took about an hour and 15 minutes to do a sorry job and the Speed Queen does a great job in about 30 minutes.

Glad you like your Speed Queen.  There were no 2017's available.  I bought a Maytag.  I like it so far.  

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

@Happiness Is Inside JOB,

My thoughts are that if you can still “smell” an odor on your husbands clothes, you need to find a laundry additive, like Borax, to soak and wash the clothes in, that actually addresses odors.   

Also, it is likely the washer itself is holding onto this odor, and you may even be smelling it from the drain hose; both of which hold a buildup of odors from soap scum.    I clean my washer with bleach and pour peroxide on the end of the drain hose that empties into the plastic pipe to our outside drain, to help kill that soap scum odor and prevent the build up in that drain pipe.   

Respected Contributor

wrote:

Can anyone help me, I have a machine without the agitator and I SWEAR the machine does NOT Clean the clothes as well as the machine with the agitators.  The clothes just sits in the water.  My husband has a skin issue and after the clothes is washed you can "still" smell that smell of his skin problem.  That is how I learned, wait these new machines are NOT CLEANING the clothes well.

If anyone has any tips on what I can do please let me know.  I have added soaking time to each load and added more bleach and also I have to wash all the clothes on the larger  load so the entire tank is filled with water.  Any tips will be appreciated.

I recently bought a 2017 Speed Queen (love!)

But before that, I had a front-load Maytag....the most pathetic washer in the world. NOTHING got clean on the "normal" cycle....nothing. 

What I finally learned was that the normal cycle was useless. Everything needed to be washed on the heavy-duty cycle (85 minutes!!) So much for energy efficient- what a joke.

Next, I always used Biokleen Sport liquid laundry detergent. It's supposed to be for clothing that is extra dirty/smelley, but it turned into my everyday detergent. I used such a tiny amount...bottle lasted me forever. 

It's so stupid that it took 85 minutes to clean a reg. batch of clothes. My new SQ cleans WAY better in about a third the time. 

Trusted Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

I recently bought a 2017 Speed Queen (love!)

But before that, I had a front-load Maytag....the most pathetic washer in the world. NOTHING got clean on the "normal" cycle....nothing. 

What I finally learned was that the normal cycle was useless. Everything needed to be washed on the heavy-duty cycle (85 minutes!!) So much for energy efficient- what a joke.

Next, I always used Biokleen Sport liquid laundry detergent. It's supposed to be for clothing that is extra dirty/smelley, but it turned into my everyday detergent. I used such a tiny amount...bottle lasted me forever. 

It's so stupid that it took 85 minutes to clean a reg. batch of clothes. My new SQ cleans WAY better in about a third the time. 

THANK YOU, I am going to order the item mentioned above right now.

in your life!!!
Trusted Contributor

wrote:

@Happiness Is Inside JOB,

My thoughts are that if you can still “smell” an odor on your husbands clothes, you need to find a laundry additive, like Borax, to soak and wash the clothes in, that actually addresses odors.   

Also, it is likely the washer itself is holding onto this odor, and you may even be smelling it from the drain hose; both of which hold a buildup of odors from soap scum.    I clean my washer with bleach and pour peroxide on the end of the drain hose that empties into the plastic pipe to our outside drain, to help kill that soap scum odor and prevent the build up in that drain pipe.   

thank you, I am going to order this item right now.  I appreciate your tips.

in your life!!!