Esteemed Contributor

Re: SINGER - Treadle Sewing Machine

@riley1 wrote:

I was just at a vintage type store and someone was trying to sell one to the store owner. He absolutely did not want it - too hard to get rid of. He also told the person they were not as valuable as people think. 

It's not the money I am after, it a good home for the item.  There ae a good number of them around and like I've written, when computers crash like the computerized new machines, and when electricity goes out -  those machines will still keep on working. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Esteemed Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

I inherited my grandmother's treadle Singer many years ago and we use it as a TV stand. It still has all of the working parts that it had when I used to sew on it at my grandma's house.  But I can almost guarantee that when I die my sons will donate it. Sigh.     

Well, maybe someone will be happy to own it someday. 

Respected Contributor

I just looked on Ebay and they are selling them from $200.00 and up.

I grew up with one in our home and we kids often used the wood top for a desk to do homework.  I think my brother still has it in his home after our mom passed away.

Honored Contributor

@Big Sister wrote:

I just looked on Ebay and they are selling them from $200.00 and up.

I grew up with one in our home and we kids often used the wood top for a desk to do homework.  I think my brother still has it in his home after our mom passed away.

Very few if any have any bids on them.

I have one in the garage that was given to me by someone that was moving.  Although the actual sewing machine is beautiful I have no use for it, will never use it or display it and this is coming from an avid quilter and sewer.  I only wanted it for the wrought iron base to use for a work table.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Puzzle Piece - If you are looking to give it away to a good home maybe try Free Cycle (or Free Recycle). If you are looking to sell it what about a vintage store or an ad in the paper.

Esteemed Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

I donated my ma's antique Singer for a charity raffle.    It was very popular and brought in big bucks in ticket sales.    The winner was thrilled.

DI !!! I let a woman who is president of some sewing/quiltinmg society have it.  She plans to raffle it off in the Fall!  She was so excited too! Your sharing did wonders.  It will go to a good home and money will be raised for a charity as well. THANK YOU !!!