Honored Contributor

Re: SINGER - Treadle Sewing Machine

Unfortunately the Singers were extremely popular, therefore there are tons still out there, even the treadles and yes (as an ex-antique dealer) they are hard to sell, they were hard to sell even 16 years ago with an uptick in antiques because most had a heavy cabinet (2 or three drawers on each side) even though they were carved beautifully, and were difficult to move around.  

I suggest taking a few photos of your machine and cabinet and take the photos to several antique malls where you live (hopefully there are some left) and offer the owner or Manager of the store your cabinet/machine (they can then come and pick it up). Since you simply want it to go to a good home and don't care if you sell it or not, the store might appreciate having it to offer their customers.  This way it might catch the eye of someone walking through and they'll buy it from the antique shop, which will be very appreciative of making a little money on it without any outlay.

OR find a consignment shop and ask if they are interested in selling it for you.  Many consignors will take 40% off the sale, and you get the rest.  However they may feel it's too hard a sell and might not want to have it take up floor space.

OR donate it to a Thrift Shop where they will (hopefully) keep their price down so someone will buy it who will love working with it.

I have always sewn and have a few machines and my favorite one is a Treadle, purchased around 2000, it's a Pfaff (German) from 1860.  It has only one drawer, made of oak with black wrought iron stand that still has it's gold painting (so does the machine).....  my second favorite, although more useful (to me) is my Singer Portable Featherweight from 1918....  it'll sew through anything and why many ladies love them because they can take them with them to Quilting Socials, classes, etc.

Good luck.... my heart really does belong to these old sewing machines....  Woman Happy 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

That's the year 2000.... Woman Wink

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

@sandraskates wrote:

I prefer to give encouragement when I post on this board but in this case I can't.

I just don't think that people want this type of stuff these days. I have been trying to sell a beautiful but unloved baby grand piano for 4 years and I've had no takers.

At flea markets I see a lot of the treadle sewing machines sitting for sale. If you are an Ebay member lookup these types of sewing machines but search for "completed sales" to see if and for how much they sold.

My only other suggestion would be donate it to  your favorite charity thrift shop or perhaps a Habitat for Humanity Re-store would take it (if you have one near you).

Good luck and I apologize for being the wet blanket.

No, you are not the wet blanket.  I've heard what you wrote and have the same things said to me about historic/vintage pieces.  Folks just aren't interested, plus there are many out there still in use and in families as well as museums.  If the plastic computerized sewing machines ever crash - the treadle will still be working. 

We had quite a time giving away a piano and finally today a young mother with four children came to take it for their use.  She watches their finances and having a piano for free was quite a blessing to her. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Esteemed Contributor

@PM1951 wrote:

I am 65 years old....and I've always dreamed of having a treadle machine....like my grandmother had when I was a little girll

If I could afford the shipping cost....I would be more than honored to accept that sewing machine....but unfortunately I can't afford it.....Sorry!

You are such a thoughtful person!

I have taught my grandchildren how to sew.....which includes my 2 grandsons. 

Recently, I had my youngest granddaughter..age 8 and her 2 cousins...ages 11 and 12 at my house for a week. 

I taught them how to sew aprons....we had sooooo much fun and they couldn't wait to show their parents their beautiful aprons.

They want to make their dogs a "coat" to stay warm in the winter for their next project. 

Bless You...and Best of Luck to you on finding a good home for your Singer Treadle Sewing Machine.

I am in the Los Angeles Area - if you weren't too far away, I'd deliver it to your doorstep.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

I donated my ma's antique Singer for a charity raffle.    It was very popular and brought in big bucks in ticket sales.    The winner was thrilled.

DI - What an excellent idea!!!!!  I may look into that. 

New Contributor

Awww....you are so thoughtful to offer to deliver to me if I were living in the Los Angeles area....however; I live in the Hill Country in Texas!

Thank you though!

I love the suggestion the person wrote to donate to a charity event....WHAT A GREAT IDEA!

I'm sure what ever you decide to do with the treadle sewing machine will be the right choice.

Again....BLESS YOU "LOVE ROSES"!

Valued Contributor

I had one of those treadle sewing machines I inherited from my grandmother, and I gave it to my DD & SIL to put in the upstairs hallway of their 100+ year old home. They have a lot of antiques and it is beautiful in that space. My mother had the one that belonged to my other grandmother, and when we were clearing out her house my DS took that one for his home. I am so happy both those sewing machines stayed in our family.

Esteemed Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

That's the year 2000.... Woman Wink

You had me wondering!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

I inherited my grandmother's treadle Singer many years ago and we use it as a TV stand. It still has all of the working parts that it had when I used to sew on it at my grandma's house.  But I can almost guarantee that when I die my sons will donate it. Sigh.     

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

I was just at a vintage type store and someone was trying to sell one to the store owner. He absolutely did not want it - too hard to get rid of. He also told the person they were not as valuable as people think.