Honored Contributor

SEMI-DETACHED HOUSE RENOVATION

Even though this is more sort of modern and sleek than I prefer, it's clever.  I like this designer-- she's practical, and she has great ideas that really work in the execution, like that mudroom she created. The built-ins throughout the narrow house, for that matter, are so useful.

This is more "tailored" than I like-- I have to have more "quirks", and a collected quality-- but you can see how perfect this is for a young family.  That back living room, when the kids are older or gone, can be made less utilitarian, and more "parlor" like.  For what she had to work with, the designer did a very nice job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSDYqlK6zuI&list=PLq6_9C13yh5OnSuoeeAzCohyXulyJHpcQ&index=5

Esteemed Contributor

Re: SEMI-DETACHED HOUSE RENOVATION

I agree.....definetly more functional!

Respected Contributor

Not my taste either, @Oznell , but this designer had a clear vision of what was needed and she executed it superbly.  Especially like the mudroom, the "shaker bevel" on some of the millwork, and the storage space she seemed to have created out of nothing.  Learned a lot from watching it -- thank you!

Esteemed Contributor

A unique style in a unique home. 

Honored Contributor

Not my style but absolutely improved. 

Honored Contributor

Wow, I love the way that first floor was opened up.  The built-ins uncluttered the place.  What a big improvement.

This house I am guessing is in Canada?  The designer has a strong Candian accent.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

A nice reno and some of the elements used in the reno are very attractive. The decor, in the way of furnishings, colors, accessories and so on, on the first floor is, however, sad and really pretty unappealing. Despite the homeowners supposed request for a bedroom that smacked of 'hotel' (and really, just no...) for me, the bedroom was the only space I saw where the decor was borderline appealing. I might consider this woman to help me plan a renovation, but not necessarily as an interior decorator...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Very nicely done reno ........

Loved the mudroom transformation....and also liked the fireplace and color she chose....

I HATE glass topped coffee tables---been there done that....I cant imagine keeping that clean and fingerprint free with kids....The living room chairs look very uncomfortable for a family......

The kitchen is too neutral needs some character...everything blends together....really blah but much more functional

And that BLAH "hotel bedroom"----DONT LIKE AT ALL...especially the bedding.....  

Nice job with the bath in a tight space.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

That is one smart and clever designer.  I love the architectural details in the home, the furniture is a bit too contemporary for my liking....wonderful and functional reno.

Honored Contributor

Good call, @Carmie ,  on the Canadian accent!  This video is from the "House and Home" site, which is a Canadian one.  Virtually all of the houses are in either Montreal or Toronto, I think, so the designers are Canadian.