Honored Contributor

There isn't anything that's personal to warm up the space which causes lack of personality.  They did, however, have a great mix of colors and materials.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell  and @colliemom4 

They used Farrow and Ball paint called "Down Pipe" in the kitchen:

A dramatic lead grey

Down Pipe, a dark lead grey, has definite blue undertones to it which deepen the complexity of the finish. Originally inspired by the colour used to paint downpipes and guttering, it has been embraced for use inside the home with fanatical zeal! This daringly dark hue is fabulous as a background to art, and extremely effective for use in halls to create a deeply dramatic entrance to the home. 

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

It seems warmer to me from this angle, but still, I wonder where the personal touches are.  But I don't care how impersonal or how white it may be, it would be fantastic to visit!

Honored Contributor

Oh, thanks for your always-alert detective work, @GingerPeach!  I've noticed in shelter mags. that a lot of designers are crazy for that particular Farrow and Ball color, and love to use it.  Didn't recognize it here!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Oh, thanks for your always-alert detective work, @GingerPeach!  I've noticed in shelter mags. that a lot of designers are crazy for that particular Farrow and Ball color, and love to use it.  Didn't recognize it here!

In reading the article, I clicked through the paint name link.  It was very interesting overall.

Thanks again for posting all these homes, @Oznell 

Respected Contributor

Re: SANTA MONICA HOUSE

[ Edited ]

@Desertdi wrote:

I lived in Santa Monica for 20 years.............a house that size is worth MILLIONS........

Yes!! My son drives across country from MD every summer to hang out in Santa Monica, LA and Venice Beach as he is an artist and coordinates with other artists there. He stays with friends or if all else fails, in his van.  He had a friend visit this past Spring from Santa Monica and he said our 4 bed, 3 bath house on an acre of ground would be about 3 million or more out there in prime areas! Oh my stars ⭐️ 

May I add it’s absolutely worth no where near that in any lifetime where I am

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Looks like a typical traditional mid-50's ranch, a style often found in America's suburban neighborhoods.  The difference in Santa Monica, probably could be sold for over $1-2 million.

Wonder if the French doors, wainscoting, and different wooden touches done to the ceiling were added after construction.  Although, I don't like the ceiling design in the livingroom, they make the house very desirable despite the generic ranch layout.

My first impression overall of the decor is drab and dull, lacking in personality, character, and color. The furniture looks like it was purchased at Sam's, Costco, and is it Pier 1, that furniture store that slips my mind so well-known for this type.

A  definite design flaw, placement of the kitchen, no windows, and without windows, the cabinets are much too dark; although, I think the style is appropriate for the woodwork throughout the house.  

Reminds me of a house that was staged for a sale.  I'd take everything out and start over.  There are so many ways this house could be made more welcoming and interesting.  

I'd give the house an A.

Decor D. 

Honored Contributor

The only thing I don't care for is the hunter green color of the drapes in a couple of the rooms.  

I love the house.

Esteemed Contributor

Very lovely home. Two many chairs in the one bedroom. I would definitely be smacking my poor toes on the legs in the night!  Ouch!! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love it. I don't think it's boring at all. I love the bright cleanliness it brings to the eye. It's fresh, airy, and inviting IMO.