Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

I lived in Santa Monica for 20 years.............a house that size is worth MILLIONS........

@Desertdi  Yes it would be. I would think even a small piece of land there may be worth that much?

Honored Contributor

Re: SANTA MONICA HOUSE

[ Edited ]

@GenXmuse wrote:

Very colorless and unimaginative. Everything looks straight out of Crate and Barrel which is also colorless and unimaginative. 

It is very contemporary looking but I like it. I don't find it boring. We all like different things.

Honored Contributor

@colliemom4 wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

I lived in Santa Monica for 20 years.............a house that size is worth MILLIONS........

@Desertdi  Yes it would be. I would think even a small piece of land there may be worth that much?

@colliemom4  Santa Monica is densely populated.    There is no "vacant" land..........    Old buildings are demolished in order to put up new construction.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

@colliemom4 wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

@colliemom4  Santa Monica is densely populated.    There is no "vacant" land..........    Old buildings are demolished in order to put up new construction.

@Desertdi  Someone I know inherited a home near there and said the land would be worth a lot. That's the only reason I brought it up.

Honored Contributor

@colliemom4 wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

@colliemom4 wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

@Desertdi  Someone I know inherited a home near there and said the land would be worth a lot. That's the only reason I brought it up.

@colliemom4   Yes, and the closer to the beach, the more $,$$$,$$$(!)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

Re: SANTA MONICA HOUSE

[ Edited ]

@Oznell  I am definitely in the minority here because I love the house.  I find it to be calm and relaxing.  I did not see any wallpaper, so I don't know what was controversial.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

I'm back, @colliemom4, and have thought about your kitchen question.  (And thank you for asking, and stimulating more discussion!)  Like you, I'm not a big fan of gray cabinets-- it's funny though, because on my monitor the color looks more of an interesting stormy blue-gray, so it didn't bother me that much!  The kitchen, although not my favorite, I think is fine for the house.

I'm torn, because like @SXMGirl, I do find the house relaxing and spacious, but the dining room bothered me, looking too regimented or something.   The rest of the house, if it just had a bit more color, to me would be a very pleasant family house.  Of course, I do like quirky, one of a kind effects, but for some reason, I don't mind the slightly generic feel of this house.  Maybe because they threw in some of my beloved midcentury touches, along with a few mouth-watering antiques and rugs!  

I still think when I look at it, "nice, casual California house".

Honored Contributor

I love the look of this cabinet/hutch.  About 25 years ago, I painted the bathroom cabinets in my upstairs bathroom black with an undertone showing through.  

The house gives me the impression it's rented, as in airbnb perhaps. I see nothing personal.

Amber-Interiors-Client-West-Coast-Is-The-Best-Coast-15_800x1000_acf_cropped.jpg

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

I'm back, @colliemom4, and have thought about your kitchen question.  (And thank you for asking, and stimulating more discussion!)  Like you, I'm not a big fan of gray cabinets-- it's funny though, because on my monitor the color looks more of an interesting stormy blue-gray, so it didn't bother me that much!  The kitchen, although not my favorite, I think is fine for the house.

I'm torn, because like @SXMGirl, I do find the house relaxing and spacious, but the dining room bothered me, looking too regimented or something.   The rest of the house, if it just had a bit more color, to me would be a very pleasant family house.  Of course, I do like quirky, one of a kind effects, but for some reason, I don't mind the slightly generic feel of this house.  Maybe because they threw in some of my beloved midcentury touches, along with a few mouth-watering antiques and rugs!  

I still think when I look at it, "nice, casual California house".

@Oznell  Thank you for sharing your opinion regarding the cabinets. I didn't see any blue at all. That would probably make me dislike them even more. I will say I like the kitchen cabinets and they are updated, so that's a big plus for me. I'm sure I could live with it or change it if I owned the home.

I had to go back and look and the dining room pic and now I think I understand your thoughts about that particular space. The dining room table looks more like something you'd conduct a business meeting at than dine.  It's very different. I think I'd change it.

I also get the nice, casual California feeling when I look at it. It seems perfect for the area.

Esteemed Contributor

The first word that came to mind is "sterile"....this should be such a beautiful home, but it lacks warmth. The ceiling in the living is beautiful, but it's barely noticeable because it just blends in with the walls. I think the decor totally missed the mark on this one, but if the owners are happy - well, good for them!!