Honored Contributor

This pretty family house was apparently even more white before it got a refresh.  The brief for the design team was to warm it up a bit, while retaining the clean white aesthetic. The wallpaper, interesting (but possibly controversial) touches of forest green, and cozy rug in living room seem to be moves in that direction.

Amber-Interiors-Client-West-Coast-Is-The-Best-Coast-3.jpg

Amber-Interiors-Client-West-Coast-Is-The-Best-Coast-11_800x1000_acf_cropped.jpg

I feel the main dining area needs something-- that long row of chairs is too utilitarian.  Needs more "personalization".

Amber-Interiors-Client-West-Coast-Is-The-Best-Coast-14_800x1000_acf_cropped.jpg

Amber-Interiors-Client-West-Coast-Is-The-Best-Coast-15_800x1000_acf_cropped.jpg

Amber-Interiors-Client-West-Coast-Is-The-Best-Coast-45.jpg

Breakfast area:

Amber-Interiors-Client-West-Coast-Is-The-Best-Coast-60.jpg

The family room's use of textures and sumptuous, comfy fabrics is masterful:

Amber-Interiors-Client-West-Coast-Is-The-Best-Coast-26.jpg

I seriously love this master bedroom.

Amber-Interiors-Client-West-Coast-Is-The-Best-Coast-29.jpg

Amber-Interiors-Client-West-Coast-Is-The-Best-Coast-31_800x1000_acf_cropped.jpg

Nice child's bedroom:

Amber-Interiors-Client-West-Coast-Is-The-Best-Coast-50-.jpg

Amber-Interiors-Client-West-Coast-Is-The-Best-Coast-46_800x1000_acf_cropped.jpg

Do you think they warmed up the house sufficiently?  Of course, the stark white we are seeing on camera may be a warmer, creamier white in real life, therefore not looking quite so clinical.

I think they did quite well with introducing the earthy organic touches of greens, indigos, straw color, and all the textures.  A few antiques and reclaimed woods, and the soft Oriental rugs really help.  I'd like even more color, but that's me.

Honored Contributor

Re: SANTA MONICA HOUSE

[ Edited ]

@Oznell  I'm sure this is a nice house and probably worth a small fortune in that neighborhood... I see some elements I really like, but overall don't find the decor to be anything I'd write home about. As for warming it up, for what they likely paid their decorator, i'd say the job wasn't well done... I'd also note that I don't like Mid-Century in any way, shape or form and there are simply too many chairs that fit that bill for me to like several of the rooms featuirng them, including the living, breakfast and dining rooms. I love the weathered looking desk in the bedroom, the chest in front of the window in the family room and like the black hutch in the dining room. Personally, despite the warming elements you mentioned, I don't think you 'warm' a house with hunter greens, greys, blacks and contemporary lighting...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

For me it is still too stark and white.  I would put in many more changes in each room to warm them up.  As it is , it isn't appealing and doesn't draw me in.  Sometimes just the touches of paint colors, curtains/drapes, wall decor can change rooms.  

Respected Contributor

Re: SANTA MONICA HOUSE

[ Edited ]

@Oznell I usually like almost everything you post but unfortunately not this one.  For me there is nothing that has been softened.  For me, it is very stark, sterile and cold.  Nothing inviting especially the seating arrangement in the living room in front of the fireplace.  I find the furniture odd and not a good mix.  I don't care for matchy, matchy but I prefer them to relate in some way.

Dinning room table is fine, works with the hutch but I do not care at all for the choice of chairs or the two vases on top of the table.  For me, the whole perspective is off.

In the Master Bedroom, the light fixture is completely modern and does not work well with all the rustic pieces.  Do not care for the loveseat at the bottom of the bed on top of the two chairs and two rustic stools.  Think it should be one or the other.

It is not pleasing to me, nor does it say, Come in, sit, visit for awhile.

Not that any of this matters because I am sure they are quite pleased with the outcome and that is what's important.

Esteemed Contributor

I totally agree with @Somertime; the furniture is so distracting to me that I barely paid attention to the rest of the decor and color scheme. The overall layouts of most of the rooms seem very uninviting and staged, and things just don't seem to coordinate well. To answer @Oznell's question, I do think the home isn't too stark white, and I actually don't mind the touches of wallpaper, but this home just seems "off" in many ways.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell  The only thing I don't like is the grey kitchen. It's well done. I just don't care for a grey kitchen. I would like to have seen a richer warmer look in that room. What do you think? The room with the grey sofa looks quite cozy and is my favorite. The antiques fit in well and definitely add interest.

Esteemed Contributor

I need some color on a lot of the walls for me to like it.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

I lived in Santa Monica for 20 years.............a house that size is worth MILLIONS........

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Perceptive feedback on this place-- fascinating to hear reactions.

@colliemom4, that's a good question-- I'll have to think about that and get back to you...

Honored Contributor

Very colorless and unimaginative. Everything looks straight out of Crate and Barrel which is also colorless and unimaginative.