Valued Contributor

Rowenta iron and what type of water to use.

We have extremely hard tap water. What kind of water should I use in my new Rowenta iron? Any other tips about using it? TIA!

Honored Contributor

Re: Rowenta iron and what type of water to use.

I used Rowenta irons for 20-ish years.  I've always used distilled water in mine.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use tap water (we have our own well and do not have to soften our water)

From the Rowenta website:

WHAT WATER MAY BE USED ?

Your iron has been designed to operate using untreated tap water. If in doubt, check with your local water authority. However, if your water is very hard, you can mix 50% untreated tap water with 50% distilled or demineralised water.

IMPORTANT Heat concentrates the elements contained in water during evaporation. The types of water listed below contain organic waste or mineral elements that can cause spitting, brown staining or premature wear of the appliance: water from tumble dryers, scented or softened water, water from refrigerators, batteries or air conditioners, pure distilled or demineralised water or rain water should not be used in your iron. Also do not use boiling, or bottled mineral water.

***Also, when you're finished ironing be sure to empty the tank.  Don't allow any leftover water to sit in there.

Valued Contributor

Thank you both for the replies. We do have a water softener so I wonder in that case is it still ok to use the tap water?

Honored Contributor

I don't want to mess with distilled water, so I just use my filtered tap water and it works fine. I always pour any leftover water out immediately and don't let it sit in the iron when I store it.

Honored Contributor

@mallemo wrote:

Thank you both for the replies. We do have a water softener so I wonder in that case is it still ok to use the tap water?

@mallemo  The information I posted said NOT to use softened water.  Call Rowenta and ask their advice.

Honored Contributor

My Rowenta instructions state do not use distilled water! I use reg tap and my iron from Q is 10 years old used weekly and still great!

Honored Contributor

I used bottled drinking water, like aquafina.  Had my iron four years.  Works and looks like new.

Valued Contributor

I've always used distilled water and had great success with my Rowenta.  I've never had any leakage or any other problems with it.

Esteemed Contributor

I've had my Rowenta for years and just use tap water. I have hard water. It works fine. No spitting, marks, etc.