Honored Contributor

@Iwantcoffee wrote:

This is the reading room from A House We Built blog.

A House We Built – Custom House Designed by Husband & Wife Team | Modern  Farmhouse Inspired

A House We Built – Custom House Designed by Husband & Wife Team | Modern  Farmhouse Inspired

Love the cat! 😸😸

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

I don't think that big light suspended over the corner would be conducive to reading. I'd feel like I was being interrogated. Even if the chaise is on casters, it would be a pain in the neck to have to move it whenever you wanted to see what's on those shelves. 

Honored Contributor

too many patterns for me. Also agree that the chaise needs to be further away, and I am not crazy about the lighting either. I think I would keep the books and bookcase, and start over with furniture and lighting in this one!

Esteemed Contributor

I could nap there. Very nice furniture. 

Esteemed Contributor

That chair would not be comfy for me. Too much light. 

Respected Contributor

I can't get past the awful shag rug and the harsh pendant light.

Honored Contributor

I love a good reading area, but this space is not for me. I don't like the striped chaise or really any of the furnishings and accessories. The white shelving looks a bit inexpensive to me. 

I'm not loving the second reading area either. I love swings, but I don't think I want one in my reading area.

Honored Contributor

NO.

Respected Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

May be an image of furniture, bedroom and living room

One change I would make is to pull the seating away from the bottom shelves to make them accessible.

Lol!  I actually own that poof that's shown at the lower right of the picture! and it's in my 'library room'!  so funny.

That being said, I don't like it with that striped chaise, maybe there's another part of the room where it would look better? And I agree the striped chaise should be moved away from the bookcase.  Love the bookcases.  I'm pretty much ok with the rest of the room, probably change out some of the pillows, maybe change out the round silver table, or maybe not.  I'd have to see in person if I like the rug being round.  Maybe tho!

I completely love that swinging chair.  I will have to keep something like that in mind for my cat and just hope she'd love it too (and not ignore it!)

Honored Contributor

To me, you could do a lot better for a reading room than either of these.  Especially the white "reading room for people who don't read" which is perfect for the cat.  Who I will assume, does not read.