Respected Contributor

Original 1911 Prairie Style Mansion

I just happened on this YT video & watched it.  What a wonderful home.  For some reason, I just love it & this is not a style I'd normally be drawn to.  It's amazing that so much from 1911 has stayed intact & so pristine in this place.  I'm thinking whoever had it built, must've be pretty well to do.  Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hwqBI28y_w

Honored Contributor

Re: Original 1911 Prairie Style Mansion

Reminds me of Frank Lloyd Wright and another architect Maher that both deisgned Prairie style homes.  I toured Frank Lloyd Wright's studio (home) in Oak Park, IL.  Very interesting concept of being able to see outside but built so it was difficult to see inside.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

What a fabulous example of a 1911 house, @aubnwa01 , with all those original features intact!   Like her, I couldn't believe that the tiles in the inglenook were still all unbroken, the incredible lights were all there, metal work, the original windows, and on and on.

Although I respect Prairie and Craftsman styles, like you they are not my passion.  But this one was so magical in all its original features.  I sure hope whoever buys it will do a very sensitive spruce up, keeping all those precious aspects.

I've seen that Restoration Nation site once or twice before-- they do great work.  Thanks for showcasing that historic house!

Honored Contributor

Sigh. Between this or an early '20's Dutch Colonial.

DREAMING.......

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@aubnwa01   What an interesting thought provoking video.  Thanks for posting it. One of my first thoughts was what it would cost "today" to have the kind of quality that lasts for that many years?  The condition of this home is really amazing.  I also love the lay-out of it.  DH and I both love limestone and cobblestone exteriors. The porch that opens up so wide from the dining room really impressed me, too. Wouldn't it be wonderful to be eating in that dining room with those doors wide open?!!!

Honored Contributor

Wow...what a treasure. 

I would love to see it after someone moves in and makes it their own.

I hope they just do cosmetic work and do not rip everything out and go for a modern vibe.

Esteemed Contributor

This home has been well loved and well taken care of. What a magnificent example of the craftsmanship of the past.  If I were fortunate and lived in this home I would make a few cosmetic changes but not touch anything original, especially the wood.

Respected Contributor

@DREAMON 

Agree 100% hope there won't be any changes to the original features.  Looks like this video sold the house to someone in California.

Honored Contributor

@aubnwa01 Great video and many thanks for posting!  

There are lots and lots of Prairie and Craftsman houses in Oklahoma simply because of Statehood being 1907.

Another interesting and related topic is Bruce Goff, an architect who taught at the Univ. of Oklahoma in mid century, was a friend and maybe student (I can't remember!) of Frank Lloyd Wright.  He has some very unique houses and other buildings, several of which are still standing and lived in.

Unfortunately the Bavinger House is recently gone but I got to tour it in college!  It was interesting I will say.

The Hidden Sides of Architect Bruce Goff is an interesting article--not posting link because it maybe has ads--and has some pictures of his designs.

There is also in Oklahoma Price Tower

The Price Tower is a spectacular building of copper and concrete  in Bartlesville, Oklahoma. The tower was built for Harold C. Price as a corporate headquarters for his pipeline construction company. Price had originally thought of a rather modest rectangular building a few stories high, however Frank Lloyd Wright convinced him that it would be more economic and efficient to build up rather than out.

The unique form was originally designed by Wright for downtown New York City in 1929, as one of a cluster of apartment towers, but was unrealized due to the Great Depression.

Wright was delighted to  build his tower on the plains of Oklahoma, and he nicknamed the building “The Tree that Escaped the Crowded Forest” ”

Esteemed Contributor

I like most of this house.  The kitchen seems a little small for the house.  I know a couple of the bathrooms are original, but I couldn't live with them.  It looks like the window sills need some work.  Also, I would need AC.

However, my mouth dropped open when I saw the price.  Unreal!.  Yeah, for that price, I think I could live here and fix the things I didn't like.  The view is lovely.