Contributor

Resurfacing kitchen cabinets

I attended a home show to get ideas for remodeling my kitchen and master bathroom. I was very interested in one of the vendors that featured resurfacing kitchen cabinets with a laminate material. It was really attractive. They had a glazed off-white finish that was exactly what I wanted. I don't know anyone who has done this, and they assure me that it is a resilient finish. Have any of you done this, or know anything about it. Thanks in advance. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Resurfacing kitchen cabinets

See if they have any customer references where you can see their work in person.

My neighbor had this done about 10 years ago and the problem wasn't the materials, it was the workmanship.

It was mediocre at best, when she opened and closed certain cabinet doors, the  lamimate would rub on the cabinet box, if that makes sense.  No amount of adjusting the doors fixed it.  Finally the laminate peeled on the edge of those doors.

Contributor

@decaf ,this is the picture I have in my mind. I will ask if I can see someone's finished product. The samples they had were beautiful. 

Honored Contributor

Some people might tell you it is expensive, but I saved a tremendous amount by getting new door/drawer fronts. You'd have thought all the cabinets were brand new. I think if you want to change the layout, like drawers where a cabinet used to be, then the cost jumps.

Respected Contributor

Check the company's Better Business Bureau, Angi and Home Advisor ratings. Also search for any complaints (not reviews) about the company, i.e. "XYZ Cabinet Resurfacing complaints". This should yield results that aren't the standard reviews. Good luck!

Valued Contributor

Absolutely ask to look at prior work they've done in homes (and inside shots of the cabinets too to see how that looks). Of course they'll bring something 'perfect' to a vendor show! Also as suggested-check out their ratings, reviews, complaints, etc.

I've seen a few that look like a 10 year old painted them (no offense to 10 year olds). Have yet to see "in person" good ones but maybe I can't tell, which would be a good thing if they were done!
Valued Contributor

When I was a kid there were a ton of commercials for cabinet refacing through Sears.  A neighbor had it done years ago and really like the results.  I believe they still have that service.  

Honored Contributor

OMG---I put laminate cabinets in my 1986 house when we built it which was popular then and cheap, --easy to clean but grew to HATE  35 years later---had laminate on the countertops too----will NEVER go that route again!!!! should have relaced them 20 years ago but the "idiot" who built the house--my spouse---refused,  as he thought they looked great----he is an "X" now----Woman Wink

Trusted Contributor

I just had that done last month. Went from cherry cabinets to antique white. Looks good. My recommendation is to go with a company that uses real wood doors and drawers as opposed to laminate. Mine are birch. They laminate the cupboard backs and sides, to match the wood. I had 4 companies give me an estimate....2 with all laminate (doors and sides) and 2 with wood doors. Cost was the same. Wood won't be aslikely to peel. Wasn't cheap, but     i couldn't go with new cabinets because my relatively new granite countertops would have cracked installing new cupboards.

Trusted Contributor

Coincidence--I just read an article about things to not do in terms of house resale value, and one of the items on the list was refaced cabinets. The article suggested this might even decrease the resale price, for 2 reasons:  buyers would automatically suspect there are other "budget" repairs around the house, or it could call attention to outdated cabinet styles.  

I've seen refaced cabinets that looked great, and you may not be doing it for resale value anyway, in which case, why not do it if you like it?