Esteemed Contributor

So yes, there has been a thread on this lately.

Is it really hard to adjust to renting when you have been an owner?  I have loved my house but it is getting hard to keep up.  I'm just tired of the whole thing.

How lucky for me, I know, to have the opportunity to even explore the question.  We could make a little money on a sale here, that is, if anybody wants this old house.  It is a unique place (read:  unsaleable) that has been compromised by development.  The wonderfulness of the setting has changed.  I feel landlocked.

What to do?  I think I'd like to move to "the city" but that is even pricier.  Or I guess we trade down for a condo-style townhome, but I would hate to regret leaving a pretty little piece of land.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

I'm a homeowner, too. I also live in an area where developments have encroached into my once-comfortable space. That's called growth in a boomtown. I have thought about selling but I am not thrilled about living in an apartment-type setting or a condo. That's why I haven't sold my house b/c then I would want to move into another house, where I would feel more at home, and with the way the market is here right now I would be moving onto a much, much smaller house. I can't do that and I'm not willing to rent a house either. There is no affordable housing here is what I'm trying to say. 

Esteemed Contributor

Totally get it, @SilleeMee .  Stuck in a conundrum.  And you, I know, have a health condition that makes everything harder.

I feel a bit selfish, but sometimes that's what it takes.  Trying to figure it out!  Thanks.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

The housing market is hot in many areas including mine.  People are selling houses and making nice profits.  The catch is, where do you live after you sell?  Rental property, even apartments, is virtually unavailable.  I've seen people on the NextDoor app begging, pleading for a landlord to rent them a house.  They get no responses.  Even homes, often in the higher price ranges, are selling like hotcakes with multiple offers.  Gone in 2-3 days. 

I see many moderately priced homes that someone has bought, completely remodeled and is now selling for a hefty price.  I think that's what has happened to much potential rental property.

I wouldn't think of selling now unless I had another place to live already lined up.  You might spend the winter in a tent. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia 

I think I've come to terms with the fact that I most likely won't be moving out of my house even though I really want to sometimes. But with the reality of things for me right now I've decided to do some upgrading around my house to include making parts of the outdoor space more private plus I've done some improvements to make the house itself more soundproof, climate-change tolerable and more user friendly for the aging person I have become. The price tag of that work is high but the alternative would involve moving and that's just not going to happen. I can handle upgrades but not living in a rental condo.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Rent or Own

[ Edited ]

Rentals in some areas are more that ownership. Lots of rentals here are doubling rents to get old timers out often with no place to go. They just built some new so callled affordable condos in the downtown area which you couldn't pay me to live that start at $300,000 for around 1000 sq ft. This is the Phoenix area. I would stay and hire whatever needs to be done. Some condos are being sold to turn them into apartments leaving owners stuck with nothing. 

Honored Contributor

Yes, I found renting more difficult than owning.  There is much to be said about renting but I never felt it was my home.  Would need to get permission to do things I would like to do to the unit.  And I'm not a gardner so I don't miss having a yard.  I'm happy that we sold our house--too much work although not that large--rented for awhile and now have bought a condo.  Works for me!

Respected Contributor

I sold my home of 30 years and moved to a highrise.  I absolutely love it.  

Honored Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

Rentals in some areas are more that ownership. Lots of rentals here are doubling rents to get old timers out often with no place to go. They just built some new so callled affordable condos in the downtown area which you couldn't pay me to live that start at $300,000 for around 1000 sq ft. This is the Phoenix area. I would stay and hire whatever needs to be done. Some condos are being sold to turn them into apartments leaving owners stuck with nothing. 

@Meowingkitty     I'm in an "older" neighborhood on the East side.   No "fine" stores, or "fancy" restaurants around here......but it is a SAFE neighborhood.    And as a senior citizen, SAFE wins.  I'm staying.    di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Rent or Own

[ Edited ]

I have downsized twice since 2006. First, sold the McMansion for top dollar. In 2018., after the kids were grown and left the nest I sold that house in favor of a 2 BR, 2.5 bath end unit townhouse with full basement and 2 car garage 50+ miles away in a less developed and less $$$ area of the state. Could not be happier with my decision. I do enjoy outdoor space in the community. It just looks like my yard- private and quiet, and it's cared for by the HOA landscapers. Trees and shrubs were just trimmed.

DS just closed on his first home a few months ago; also an end unit townhome in another state. A single family home was well north of his very healthy budget. As mentioned previously and not often discussed, rentals units of any size and kind are very difficult to come by and very $$$$ in many areas of the country.

His new, much larger home (with private backyard) costs less per month than his previous 1000 sf  high rise rental in the same town.