Honored Contributor

@RedTop  Well, of course the Greenbrier is a bit of an anachronism. It has something like, what, 700 or so guest rooms. No hostelry needs so many. It was a place in time. Still popular but not exactly a hot tourist destination as in days gone by. A hotel that size is constantly needing attention. The last major overall re-do was probably at least a decade ago and at this point they most likely do a certain number of rooms and public areas on some sort of rotation or as funds permits. At some point, they'll more than likely call someone in to do a full makeover, though I can't fault them for wanting to hold onto some vestiges of past elegance in lieu of the mundane one encounters in even the nicer hotels today. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

I was lucky enough to travel to both the Greenbrier Resort and the Mackinac Island Grand Hotel last summer.  Both of our hotel rooms were exuberantly and beautifully decorated in the Dorothy Draper/Carleton Varney colorful flower decor, and I was thrilled.  These hotels are unique and historic, and those of us who appreciate the design heritage that they maintain do NOT wish to see changes!  Those two designers have created a wonderful legacy of opulent detail.  By the way, I traveled to those states JUST to stay in the two hotels. I love grand historic American hotels.

Both hotels now have fantastic outdoor swimming pools, and many families are enjoying the overall experience. 

Yes, the two hotels are quite pricey, but there are a lot of packages available if one searches in advance, and as an owner of a older home, I understand how expensive upkeep can be.

There will always be those modernists who think everything has to be glitz and glam, but they can just stay in Las Vegas.