Honored Contributor

Re: Question about front loading washers

@Duckncover wrote:

I have one of the first frontloaders; the Duet washer and dryer from Whirlpool. I can't even remember how old it is. I love it and have never noticed any odor at all. 8 cups of bleach sounds like a lot to put in for a cleaning cycle. Mine doesn't have a cleaning cycle option but I do run a load of old white towels with bleach every other month or so and it keeps it clean and fresh. I leave the door open when not using it and have never thought of leaving open the detergent tray, but may do that just so it gets some air. DD has a new top loading washer and I have to stand on my toes to get things out after a cycle is over. I never want to go back to that again. 

@Duckncover  Yes 8 cups is a question mark. My Kenmore uses only about a half cup of bleach for the clean cycle. 

Honored Contributor

All washers smell after a while using year after year after year.  Just run through a load of water and vinegar, do this twice in fact. 

Esteemed Contributor

I had a front load....for all of one year. It was kept immaculately clean,  it it still smelled and the clothes were always twisted. I went back to a top loader and never looked back.

Honored Contributor

I like top loader washers, as it's easier for me to load and unload items without bending over.  

But, to each her own, and lots of good luck with all washers and dryers.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).