Honored Contributor

Question about front loading washers

I have read people finding that their front loading washers have a smell after awhile.

I have only used front loading washers in a laundromat or the free washers at Walt Disney World. I liked using them and am so tempted to get one when I need a new washer.

I have never noticed a smell when I used a front loader. And the doors to the  washers are always kept closed.

What could possibly be different between the washer at home and the washer I have used in a public area.

Honored Contributor

Re: Question about front loading washers

I can't speak to the professional machines, but I had high-end LG front loading washer and dryer for the past ten years and couldn't wait to go back to a top loader.  I did everything suggested - left the door open, dried the gasket after each use, cleaned the filter regularly - and still there was a distinct sour smell. If there's a solution to it, I haven't come upon it.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

It's good maintenance to clean them every so often.  My owner's manual says to clean it periodically by using 8 cups of Clorox (in the soap dispenser) and run it.  Some have a "clean washer" cycle.  Mine comes out smelling nice & clean every time.  I try to clean it quarterly but you can do it as often as monthly.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@drizzellla  I have a Kenmore front load that is 13 years old. Never have had a problem with smells. I do leave  door open always when not running...and keep the soap dispenser out too. The washer has a "clean washer cycle I run once a month with just bleach. The cycle really cleans the washer well and lasts about 45 minutes.  Maybe look for a front loader with this feature. I have always had great luck with Kenmore brand washers. This is my second one. My first on lasted about 16 years. 

Trusted Contributor

i have a samsung front load and i've never noticed a smell. i've had the washer and dryer for years. i leave the doors open all the time when not in use. 

Esteemed Contributor

Never had a smell when I had one  for 10 yrs

Honored Contributor

I've had a frong-loading washing machine for 11 years. Never had a problem with smell.

Honored Contributor

Want to go back to top load.  The top of the line front loads that I have had for the past 10 years....wash using so little water that I put very few clothes in each load.  Also, there is a sour smell....I'll try the clorox suggestion mentioned above.

Trusted Contributor

I have one of the first frontloaders; the Duet washer and dryer from Whirlpool. I can't even remember how old it is. I love it and have never noticed any odor at all. 8 cups of bleach sounds like a lot to put in for a cleaning cycle. Mine doesn't have a cleaning cycle option but I do run a load of old white towels with bleach every other month or so and it keeps it clean and fresh. I leave the door open when not using it and have never thought of leaving open the detergent tray, but may do that just so it gets some air. DD has a new top loading washer and I have to stand on my toes to get things out after a cycle is over. I never want to go back to that again. 

Honored Contributor

We have always had a top loader.

Our 2 yr old top loader Samsung says to prop open after using, so I vent with a stick of wood.  No issue.

I would google your question.