Honored Contributor

LIGHTLY SEASONAL LIVING ROOM

Fall-Inspiring-Living-Room-Designs-08-1-Kindesign.jpg

Thanks, @panda1234 !   You got me thinking about fall.  (I love the idea of sunflowers in your thread-- they seem to span summer and fall so perfectly.)

This living room is a perennial favorite, and I love the way they nudged it in an "autumnal" direction.  Switching out the pillows for ones in pinks, purple, burgundy, terra cotta, and amber, and putting out cozy, deep colored throws, is a subtle indicator of cooler weather ahead.

The shiny red apples in bowls. The branches in a deep red vase.  The nubbly, woven straw vessels on the mantel.  Woven basket-y things make me think of fall, even though they are year round!

Even the pretty, jewel-toned oriental rug reinforces the feeling.  They could always add more decor later, but I like the mere breath of fall they alreay have. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: LIGHTLY SEASONAL LIVING ROOM

Really like this room, except for........the crest over the fireplace and the chandelier.  The chandelier would be okay if it weren't for the bare candle bulbs.  I always think they look so stark.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

An attractive room, though there's a bit much white for me and the two chairs in the foreground have too contemporary a vibe. Still, very nice. Puts me in the mind of one of Sarah Richardson's rooms. I too like the subtle nod to the season without the room screaming 'seasonal decor'. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love this room and find it very inviting and warm!  The carved crest above the fireplace is scrumptious ~ would love that for my house Heart

I understand the purpose of hanging drapes higher than the actual window, however, when they're open I find it unappealing.

Respected Contributor

I do enjoy this room.  I find it very appealing.  I would prefer not to have to wicker/straw vases on the mantel.  I feel the coat of arms is large enough and more than sufficient for the space.  I am not a fan of the "chandler's" either.  I prefer hanging my drapes from the ceiling, I love the illusion of height even though my ceilings are 10 feet high.  To avoid the gap between the curtain rod and the top of the window, I have added a matchstick pleatup blind which hides the gap, nicely and makes it appear my windows are very tall.

Honored Contributor

This is a very pretty room, warm and inviting.  I would add color in the furnishings, maybe a printed slip cover for the couch which compliments the rest of the room.  I do not care for the couch and chairs color scheme.  The ceiling is beautiful as is the rug.  With some changes it would be fine with me!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Love the room, especially with the subtle seasonal colors added.  I do not like the crest over the fireplace, so that would have to go.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love this room but I too could live without the crest over the fireplace.  I would choose something else in its place.

I'm don't usually nit pick at individual items, but that crest is just so overwhelming I had to mention it.

Respected Contributor

@Oznell 

Nice. Finally some decent rugs. I like this very much . There are a few things I would get rid of. I am not a fan of grandfather clocks. A nice piece of turned wood or special pottery on the mantle would be nice rather than the wicker.

I am not wild about the ceiling light fixture, and pleased that there is only one small stack of books (thank goodness). I like pillows but I think there are too many. The velvet pillow covers are my favorite. My personal preference for chairs flanking a fireplace(always) is that they have to be really cushy and they have to have the ability to easily turn toward the fire so that I can warm my cold feet and turn back to the room when there are others present. I would love to see the rest of it.

Honored Contributor

Very nicely done!  A gentle nod to fall.  Perfect!!!