Honored Contributor

Question About Needlepoint Thread

I ordered a Needlepoint kit from Amazon because I want to eventually be able to needlepoint a pillow.  I have done a lot of cross stitching in the past but never needlepoint.  I've been sorting through the kit and have a question before I get started.

The instructions say to "Separate the Strands.  Separate each piece of thread into six single strands before using.  Put the number of strands you need for stitching back together.  Thread them in your needle."  I am attaching a picture of the instructions and thread below.

According to the reviews on Amazon some people run out of thread with the Dimensions kits, so I don't want to use a whole thread if I'm supposed to separate it.  I tried Googling this but couldn't find anything.  I'm attaching a picture of the thread so you can see.  This looks like cross stitch thread.  It's not wool.

Thank you for any help you can give me.  There isn't a needlepoint store in town or I would have bought my kit from the local store where I could get help.  I promise I won't bug you with lots of questions.  I just don't want to waste thread and need an answer for this.

instructions.jpgpicture.jpgthread.jpg

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Re: Question About Needlepoint Thread

@NickNack 

Normally, you do separate the threads.  There may be some YouTube videos that explain this a bit better .... but ....

The thread is generally six separate strands.  They want you to pull out the number of strandfrom the six, ex. you need to work with 2 strands - pull out the two and then put the remaining four aside until you need 2 more.

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@NickNack 

Normally, you do separate the threads.  There may be some YouTube videos that explain this a bit better .... but ....

The thread is generally six separate strands.  They want you to pull out the number of strandfrom the six, ex. you need to work with 2 strands - pull out the two and then put the remaining four aside until you need 2 more.

Thank you @ALRATIBA !  So should I work with 2 stands?  Is that standard?

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack 

Not a standard - just my example.  It depends on the size of the thread and the gauge of the fabric you are working on.

Looking again at the instructions you copied - it appears that you will use only one strand.  

The last line of the instructions says to separate it into six individual strands before using.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@NickNack 

Not a standard - just my example.  It depends on the size of the thread and the gauge of the fabric you are working on.

Looking again at the instructions you copied - it appears that you will use only one strand.  

The last line of the instructions says to separate it into six individual strands before using.

@ALRATIBA   It says to put the number of threads back together that you'll be using.  Where do you see that it's just one thread?  I'm not even sure that would show up.  It's 14 mesh canvas.

I did find a YouTube video on how to separate the strands.  I don't know why I Googled it instead of looking on YouTube.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack 

See the two hands holding the threads .... see the instruction above that.

OK - I see where it mentions "the number of strands you'll need for stitching."

That might indicate that the number of strands will vary for different colors or parts of the pattern.

Read down a bit further into the instructions.

Trusted Contributor

@NickNackYes, @ALRATIBA is right with her advice about separating the strands.  If you still should run out of the thread, Joanne Fabric, Hobby Lobby, Michael's or online craft sites carry embroidery floss in dozens of colors, so I'm sure you could find any color that you may need.  DMC, as I'm sure you know, is the biggest brand out there.  Have fun with your project!  🙂

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@NickNack 

See the two hands holding the threads .... see the instruction above that.

OK - I see where it mentions "the number of strands you'll need for stitching."

That might indicate that the number of strands will vary for different colors or parts of the pattern.

Read down a bit further into the instructions.

@ALRATIBA   I've read the entire instructions three times and don't think it tells you how many strands to use.  I think I'll call JoAnne's and see if someone can tell me.  They sell this brand of kit.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@LdyBugz wrote:

@NickNackYes, @ALRATIBA is right with her advice about separating the strands.  If you still should run out of the thread, Joanne Fabric, Hobby Lobby, Michael's or online craft sites carry embroidery floss in dozens of colors, so I'm sure you could find any color that you may need.  DMC, as I'm sure you know, is the biggest brand out there.  Have fun with your project!  🙂

Thank you @LdyBugz   This thread isn't DMC.  It's made just for Dimensions.  The instructions said that if you ran out of thread to call them.  The reviews said it was impossible to reach them.  I might be able to find a close match in DMC thread.  That's why I don't want to use the wrong # of strands and run out of thread.

-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NickNack  The kit you have is from Dimensions, based in the UK.  On their WEB site, they have a link to a PDF that lists their color number and the DMC comparible number in case you need to purchase more thread locally.

Edited.....The screenshot isn't translating well, so here's their site, then go to "extra thread" on the left.  That will bring up the page with the PDF.

(Add the // to the beginning of the below.  Didn't want to add so it doesn't get poofed!)

www.colray-crafts.com/DimensionWebE/newhtm/index.htm

Screenshot_20210319-191402_Write on PDF.jpg