Respected Contributor

Question About Flooring

[ Edited ]

I am redecorating our family room and need some input.

We currently have carpet on the floor and I want something different.  I looked at hardwood or tile.  I don't like tile for a family room or den.  What about laminate flooring?  Any thoughts or suggestions concerning this type of flooring?  We have small grandchildren, nieces, nephews, cats, and a dog so I am reluctant to get carpet again or hardwood.  TIA.

Contributor

Just last week DH and I had all our carpets removed and had LVP installed. Beautiful, looks like real wood, but much more durable.  It comes in a variety of wood looks and colors and is good for all levels.  So now I have tile downstairs and LVP upstairs and look forward to the easier upkeep. We have dogs and cats.

Honored Contributor

I vote for hardwood.

It's timeless.  It's not a fad.  Been in homes for centuries!

Wouldn't settle for anything less.

Valued Contributor

I have two friends who have recently built new homes.  The most recent one has laminate which has come a long way since it first became available.  She could afford anything but got the laminate due to having two bigger dogs.  It's beautiful and looks pretty real.  No clicking sound like the old days.  

Other friend did the lino that looks like wood.  Also looks really good and very dog friendly.  I liked it so much she gave me the info but was out of my price range because I would do the whole house.  

You can't go wrong with either one.  Not sure how much the really good laminate costs, but I think I would go with that one after seeing both.

Honored Contributor

I would seriously consider the vinyl plank floor that looks exactly like wood.  Easy care.  I wish I had it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

i have tile flooring.  i noticed you said you have a dog, and i will warn you that the tile floor (although i LOVE it) is hard on the doggie's joints when she is playing around and jumping on and off the couch.  

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I would seriously consider the vinyl plank floor that looks exactly like wood.  Easy care.  I wish I had it.

if i could make a change, that is what i would get! 

Honored Contributor

I think laminate would meet your needs the best. So many friends have replaced their carpet with laminate and it looks so nice.  

Super Contributor

@PMG055  is that vinyl plank you had installed? Did you put it in every room including bathrooms and kitchen? Is it waterproof? I have big dogs and am thinking about new flooring also. Thank you

Respected Contributor

I will never put in another flooring product that snaps together. Had one put in and in 2 months it started to come apart. The company finally agreed to replace it and in January installed another one. Different name brand very expensive and it is seperating in fact I can now pick up the pieces it is a total mess. They are going to replace it again. BUT this time there will not be a floating floor it will either be glued down or nailed down. When I saw how this floor was installed the first time I said to the guys '' this floor will never hold up '' they said we put this flooring in commerical buildings it is great" Well I was correct. I have had one piece flooring put in 3 different times never had any issues but this plank flooring will never be put in this home again. No we are not hard on our flooring. No one abuses it, I take good care of it but never again it is coming apart in places we don't even walk on. We were told this was top of the line products.