Esteemed Contributor

Purging Papers - CC statements

Do you shred your credit card statements once they are paid, or do you keep them for a while?  I have kept mine for a bit, but am wondering what others do.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Purging Papers - CC statements

I keep my statements for a month.   Once I receive a new statement and pay it I shred the previous one.  

Esteemed Contributor

My statements are all online and are available for 7 years along with the spending summaries which show breakdown on type of charges, as well as the yearly summaries. Need a copy? Print it or request them to send a paper copy.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Respected Contributor

I tend to hang on to all my paperwork much longer than I should, just in case. When my mom passed in 2014,I had to go thru all her stuff. She still had paper work dating back to the 60's. I'm no where that bad. 

Honored Contributor

I opted out of getting a paper copy of almost everything now.  It's all online.  The only thing that I get a paper copy of is the water bill.  Once it's paid, it's shredded. 

Honored Contributor

I keep my statements until I get the next one and then I shred.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I keep paper copies of everything in file cabinets.   When the folders get "stuffed full"......I shred the "oldest FIRST"

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Mine are on my desktop so there's no paper to shred.

Esteemed Contributor

We also keep our statements in a file for about a year.  Then we  shred them and clear the folder for the next year.  We are kind of old fashion here, DH does not feel comfortable with all the online banking stuff.......we are SLOWLY getting into it but the confidence of it all is hard for us.

Esteemed Contributor

I am not ready to go paperless completely but I think I will go through and shred the ones that are over 1 year old.  Once in a great while I need to look something up from the prior year, but I think I'm holding these too long.  Time to shred!